Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for a quesidilla set up

Options
Greetings-

SWMBO has requested a chicken quesidilla for our post futbol celebration (Go USA!!) and I have done a couple of searches on recipes/set up of the egg but have not found anything. If anyone is willing to share a recipe and how they set up the Egg I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

I believe that we will win! I believe that we will win! I believe that we will win (or draw)...

Cheers!

Chris
Chris
St. Louis, MO
Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn

Comments

• JonImes
    JonImes Posts: 2
    Options
    Smoked chicken
    tortillas
    jalapeno cheese
    chopped onion
    additional peppers of your choice

Smoke the chicken like normal then pull it.

Take your iron skillet and put it on egg grate (400 degrees) add some butter and put the tortilla on the skillet then add the shredded jalapeno cheese, onions, chicken and peppers.  I also add BBQ sauce (famous daves devil spit or sweet and zesty).  Once all of that is on and the cheese is melted add the top tortilla and flip.  Once that side is brown its good to go.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    If you put the CI pan or griddle direct over the lump, it may get too hot.  You could also set up indirect and put the CI right on the plate setter (kind of like a smooth top range).  PS can be legs up or down.

When I do them, I use one large tortilla per.  Put cheese on the whole thing, and chicken/peppers, etc on 1/2.  When the cheese melts, fold in half and flip.  If the tortilla is not quite toasty enough, wait another minute and then flip.  It is easier to handle than a full round Quesadilla.  Post a pic!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas, looks like I need to get a CI skillet...
    :D
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    You could try on a stone if you have one, it should work well enough
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited June 2014
    Options
    You can do them raised direct at about 300.  You get nice grill marks. 

They look like THIS.
    Options
    I use a griddle and skillet. Put your goodies inside, little butter, on the griddle and hot ci skillet on top. Might have to flip but if the skillet is hot enough you wont. Making your own tortillas is easy and makes a huge difference. Good luck
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options

For me, cast iron skillet on stock grate sitting on PS legs up . Monterey jack cheese and crumbled bacon, green onions and diced tomatoes and of course previously grilled chicken breast cold, sliced thinly works best. I have found that Crisco works to make them flaky.  Just my 2 cents.

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    We take left over smoked chicken, wife makes her own mexican seasoning for the chicken, put it in a CI that carmelized some sweet onions and some peppers. Mix it up, toss it in a tortilla with some jack, cheddar and pepper jack..

Serve some cold, cold sour cream with it for dipping..

Man.. it's a staple in our house.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • oakdaleegger
    Options
    I use my pizza stone for quesadillas. They turn our perfect each and every time. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Seems like a lot of work if you're going to use a CI = they're literally done in a few minutes so is anyone finding they pick up smoke flavor?   I never bothered firing up the egg, just use the stove.
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Haven't done quesidllia's in a while but used to do them all the time. I used a camp chef round cast iron griddle about 15" dia.  that was well seasoned and set it on the main grate. The true secret to the street version of the dish. Is manteca (lard) you will also find manteca is a fine pastry kitchen as well. Nothing makes a light and flakey crust or tortilla like manteca. However don't tell your Dr. (heart attack on a plate) but oh soooo gooood. you can find it in the mexican food section of the market. Let some melt on the griddle throw on a tortilla and it's heaven on a plate.  I used to use a three cheese mexican blend with some queso fresco thrown in as well. Pork, Chicken, Avocados, fresh home made  pico, cilantro, it's all good. 
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Sooooo, I gave this a shot and had middle of the road results. Started by grilling the chicken breasts (Penzey's Northwoods Fire Rub) 400° direct until 160ish internal and then sliced against the grain. Then I pulled the grid, put in platesetter legs up and placed CI pan on the grid that was coated with Basil olive oil. Let the dome temperature get back up to 400° and then put in the folded quesidilla. Cooked it for 4 - 5 minutes per side. Flipping it was not an easy task, I kept having jumpers out of the tortilla into the CI pan. The tortilla stayed pretty flabby the whole time, I couldn't get it to crisp up and I was afraid to leave it on any longer or the internals might start burning. Last picture shows it plated. Tasted great, just not the presentation I was hoping for. Any suggestions for improving the method would be appreciated. Thanks for looking and for all of the advice!

Cheers!

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Godzillas!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I don't think you could have melted butter in that pan.  It needs some heat - do it direct.   It should take a minute or two on each side.  Make it easy on yourself and do that part on the stove.  Results are what matters.
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I've done them right on a raised grid direct, no pan, etc. The grill marks give an added touch.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    DMW said:
    I've done them right on a raised grid direct, no pan, etc. The grill marks give an added touch.
    How do you avoid the filling from falling out of the tortilla in the fire? What Egg temperature do you recommend?
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Those were just cheese quesidillas, so the cheese pretty much melted and held both together when it was time to flip. Not sure on temp, if I had to guess it was around 400* as I think there was a chicken on before. I just watched for a bit of char and fully melted cheese. I would suspect that if there was enough cheese you could add chicken, etc and still have them stick together to flip. Use 2 spatulas together to flip, or a pizza peel, I'll bet that would work nicely. I wouldn't try with just one tortilla with this method I don't think.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Ok, makes sense, I will work on this for next time. Thanks for the clarifications!

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Cheese is quesidilla glue.
    Options
    I usually heat up a non stick pan, throw a tortilla on, let it warm up, and add cheese.

1-2 minute process when all is said and done. I do this on my stove because I think it's silly to do quesadillas on my egg. I'm in the do this in the best vessel camp and stove wins every time.