Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bad texture on my smoked sausage

Options
canman
canman Posts: 52
I have been trying to make smoked hot links but the texture is crumbly. I have tried different temps( 170 to 200) and times. I have pulled them at 150 deg and ice bathed them and still have dry/crumbly sausage. Any suggestions?
Tullahoma, Tennessee.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited June 2014
    Options
    You may have too little fat or the mixture was too warm during stuffing.

Applies:

• canman
    Options
    I use 70/30 mixture and chill the grinder and stuffer parts in the freezer before using. Some recipes call for very cold liquid and some don't. Would it help not using liquid?
    Tullahoma, Tennessee.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

You are rererring to home made sausage, right? The lower you keep your pit/Egg temps the better. You don't want the fat to melt out. Below 170 is best, 155 IMHO would be even better. Pull when IT hits 155.

Lot of variables to consider and its hard to answer not knowing them. All beef? All pork? Mixture? What was your meat to fat ratio?

Did the fat smear when you ground it? If so, your meat or your grinder was too warm when you ground it.

How coarse did you grind it? What kind of grind did you do? Single or double?

More info needed before people can help ya out.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• canman
    Options

All pork, 70/30 ratio. I grind the meat twice on medium grind. I also grind the fat separately(fat ground once on course grind) and it does not get gummy. I always have the meat and fat very cold but not frozen before grinding and freeze the grinder parts also.

I am getting ready to try again today. 6 lbs of Pork sausage this afternoon. Thank you for the advice and I will post results.

Tullahoma, Tennessee.
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    When I was a kid I worked for a butcher who swore by adding some breadcrumbs to sausage mixes.  A bit like moisture retention for meat loaf. 

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

What's the full recipe you are using?

You might try asking around in a sausage forum or in the sausage section of the The Smoke Ring for more "expert" advice. Are you using any kind of binder in your sausage? Non-fat dry milk, potato starch "boom", or any of the soy (soy, soy proteinconcentrate, soy flour, etc) just to name a few off hand? These can help bind the natural juices in your sausage. To me it sounds like you are losing all your juices.

The other thought I have is how much moisture are you adding to your sausage, ie water, wine, beer, etc.? Not only does it help mix in the spices more evenly, it will cook out before the moisture from the meat/fat will leaving you a moister sausage. Just some thoughts. I am by no means an expert, although I think I have one or two recipes nailed down to my liking.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    edited June 2014
    Options
    You might also try adding a little bit of powdered milk. about 2 Tbsp per 5lb.  Another thing to consider .. after you grind the meat you could/should mix it some with ice water.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• canman
    Options

Thank you for all the input. I tried a recipe from the Charcuterie book and it turned out amazing. I used the A-mazing pellet smoker for smoke and just a few charcoal chunks to keep the heat around 170. Pulled them at 155 and they are the best I've done. I will try it again and play with the spices.

Thanks again.

Tullahoma, Tennessee.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @canman‌ if I was there I'd snag one of them links up quick like in a hurry! They look perfect!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL