Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do I use Mickey's Coffee Rub

Options
stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
Plan on starting two butts on Wednesday night and am gonna try Mickey's Coffee Rub on one them. I've only done 3 butts. I usually wake up at about 1300-1400 and pick butts up from butcher at about 1500. Mustard and Rub at about 1700 and refrigerate until it goes on the egg at midnight. Question: Do you use something similar to the above or do I just use the rub by itself and put it on right before it goes on the Egg? Hopefully I'll be able to pick up the ingredients for the rub locally.
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• stemc33
    Options
    I'll probably have more questions on this upcoming cook. Might start a new thread or just ask on this one. This is the first time cooking two and will need to know things like placement on the LBGE and if meat needs to be rotated during the cook. First I just need some suggestions on using Mickey's Rub. Also, this will be the first time that I have a scheduled eat time. 1700 on Thursday. Getting nervous about cooking for a retirement party. All advice welcome.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    Hey there, I'll chime in on the topic.  I havent used Mickeys rub personally but on a butt I haved been using rubs without mustard for a while and it doesnt seem to make any difference.  I may end up using a tab more rub this way but the flavor in the end is the same.

As for your cooking time, I would start the meat early and keep it in a cooler until time to eat.

It can stay in a cooler for 5 or 6 hours so I'd shoot for finishing early to be safe.

-Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @stemc33‌ The very first thing I used Mickey's coffee rub on was a butt. I personally patted the butt dry and liberally applied the rub using a shaker and pressed the rub into the butt. I didn't leave it on overnight etc.
    Now when I tried it on a brisky I left it on overnight and then sprinkled more on right before putting on the egg.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • StillSmoken
    StillSmoken Posts: 327
    Options
    I would use just the coffee rub. No mustard. I quit using mustard all together. I experimented and the results without mustard were just as good if not better. Good luck. I love Mickeys rub
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • stemc33
    Options
    So basically, no mustard and rub right before putting on the Egg? I think I'll still have a start time of midnight. I have a hour drive, so I need to leave the house about 1500. Plan to cook at 250 degrees dome.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    You should be fine.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Just massage the rub into the meat. Use as much as you want, and no mustard for me any more. Mickey said so.

I use a (nonstick) frog mat, but before that I'd pat the meat all over with oil before putting it on the grid. No worries about sticking with a nonstick mat.
    Judy in San Diego