Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilling in a Winter Wonderland

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This observation borders on the obvious but I thought I'd pass it along anyway. Yesterday my loving wife, Susie, bought some steaks which she wanted me to do on our Egg. Now, we live in Northern Virginia and earlier this week we had about an inch of snow, followed by a couple of days of cold temperatures and bright sunshine. As a result, when I tried to open my Egg to prepare it for the feast, it stuck fast due to refrozen snow-melt which had saturated the lid gasket. [p]My BGE had come up with a case of lockjaw and no amount of tugging and jerking would dislodge it. I didn't want to do any serious prying lest I damage the gasket. Likewise I discarded the notion of turning the blowtorch on the frozen joint. Lifting the Egg out of its table and bringing it into the rumpus room to warm up was also a non-starter (Susie has a bad back.) [p]It was Susie who came up with the obvious but brilliant solution of building a fire in the lower part of the chamber to warm the Egg gradually from the inside. I lit a couple of paraffin fire starters and shoved them in through the lower draft door. This I followed with several dry sticks I found in the yard to get a crackling little fire. The hard part was next; having the patience to wait about half an hour for the Egg to "cook". Ay vwalah! The Egg opened opened wide as easy as you please. [p]All hale, Susie! And the steaks were good too.

Comments