Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tweakin' out your Egg

Options
So I've got plenty of other pricey hobbies, like golf and homebrewing, but I've now crossed over into upgrading my LBGE.

What are some "MUST" have items you think one should get, or perhaps things you find easier to use for certain cooks?

I consider myself pretty diverse in my cooks. Low and slow briskets and butts, ribs every once in a while. Plenty of regular cooks like burgers, steaks, chickens and wings. I even do some CI cooks in there during the summer to keep from heating the house up. Also make my fair share of pizzas on there.

So far, I've gotten a PSWoo2 to fit the cast iron grate, Smokeware Cap, and a Hi-que grate for the bottom. CI grate, and a folding raised grid for the regular SS grate.

Looking at getting a controller for low and slow cooks soon enough, but haven't decided which/where is the best buy and what to get so far.

Anything else that ya'll can toss out there that really makes it even more diverse and maybe even "fun" to use?
-FATC1TY
Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
LBGE
MiniMax

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Alot of fellas don't bother with a controller because egg is pretty reliable, but I LOVE having one. I have an Auber, which is very basic, and I'm good with that. I sleep like a baby during low and slow cooks.

I'm kinda basic with my egg toys, but I recently got a veggie basic and love it.

The next thing I'll do is customize the handles.
  • SoCal_Griller
    SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
    edited June 2014
    Options
    The ultimate accessory: A second egg!

I have the AR with spider and cast iron grate.   I use the AR for every cook and like to experiment with the different levels it offers.  Edited to add that I also have a Wok to use with the spider, its fun and breaks up the cooks.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Yeah, I've got my eyes on a MiniMaxx whenever that rolls around.
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Our Son's GF if given a chance would surely bedazzle my LBGE =))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    Other than what has already been listed, I like the BGE pigtail tool for turning steaks that are close to the heat. I guess you could even bedazzle it if you wanted to!!
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Not that this is just an egg accessory, but opens up a whole new world:

Sous Vide

https://www.cuisinetechnology.com/sousvide-discovery.php
    Options
    To me after one cook I'm digging my controllerI have the digi q. I went a year without one but I see the value now.

Woks are fun also
    Seattle, WA
  • ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    Options
    Love my sous vide also
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    mcmac said:
    Other than what has already been listed, I like the BGE pigtail tool for turning steaks that are close to the heat. I guess you could even bedazzle it if you wanted to!!
    Yeah, I got that pig tail a while ago. Along with the rib rack/roast holder and all that stuff. I rarely use the pig tail at all.
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Alcohol.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • FATC1TY
    Options

henapple said:
    Alcohol.

I brew, and have 4 beers on tap at 100% of the time in my house. I have no less than 30-50 gallons sitting around at any point. I think I've got that covered. Ha!
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    FATC1TY said:

... I rarely use the pig tail at all.
    Really? I use my small pig tail all the time - probably even more inside than on my egg. A simple for instance it is so handy for flipping bacon. BTW do people know they make left handed models as well? You wouldn't think it is necessary, but here's a laugh for you. If you are right handed try to use it in your left hand! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    Never thought to use it to flip bacon. We do our bacon in the oven, and don't have to mess with it, or the mess of popping grease everywhere. Cooks better too!
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • mcmac
    Options
    Never tried it left handed... I'll have to give it a try.
    I have to chuckle though, as I don't recall my being labeled as right handed.
    I can only imagine the look on a clerks face when you ask for a left handed model!

Hillsboro OR
  • eggLaTech
    eggLaTech Posts: 28
    Options
    @BYS1981‌ ....here's a link to a great guy, Marty Leach. He made me and a couple of my buddys handles. Great job and a really great guy. Got them in time for ones birthday. Go to http://www.amlwoodart.com. He can do pre and post 2012 egg handles. Plus Weber handles too. Pic of mine.
    Baton Rouge, La - I'm going to quit procrastinating.......starting tomorrow.
  • egger911
    egger911 Posts: 39
    Options
    I recommend a "Kick Ash Basket". I carefully remove it and shake it over a galvanized bucket. There is VERY little ash left in the Egg. Clean up is so easy!
    Large BGE, Weber Summit, Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Kettle, Offset Smoker, and a 1974 Smokey Joe. (Love that Egg, should have got it earlier.) Moorpark, (Southern) California 93021
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    FATC1TY said:

henapple said:
    Alcohol.

I brew, and have 4 beers on tap at 100% of the time in my house. I have no less than 30-50 gallons sitting around at any point. I think I've got that covered. Ha!
    Don't tell @henapple that or he will never leave your house.   =))

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Google me your address and I'm heading there.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    @henapple

Come on man.. I've got spent bourbon barrels that I age beers in, as well as spirits... ;)

-FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • mcmac
    Options
    @eggLaTech,

Cool link... thanks for sharing. I just may have to use this as a gift source.

Nice and unique stuff. I like the laser engraving.

Hillsboro OR
  • Tony_Wornick
    Options
    FATC1TY said:

henapple said:
    Alcohol.
    And where do you live?

• FATC1TY
    Options
    Well.. I think other than a Digi Q, I might be set up for a little while.

High Q grate in, smokeware cap installed, CI WOO2 in place. Maybe building a 2 tier set up on my regular SS grid next.
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax