Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Missing my Egg on Vacation

Options
stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
Been on vacation in Alaska and am getting eggcited to get back home to my LBGE. Probably do something easy like burgers or spatchcock chicken since I have to work the day I return. Been busy and have had little internet access, so I've only looked at a few post over the last week. I got to fish in the Bering Sea, watch my daughter process salmon for her winter storage, and meet my 10 month old grandson for the first time. She lives in a small village that is quite different than life in the lower 48. Anyway, does anybody else miss their egg while on vacation? imageimageimage
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Hey I'm heading on vacation tomorrow morning and I'm already going through withdraws. A buddy of mine left two days ago for WYO and he called me today complaining that his dads grill sucked and he misses his egg.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    I miss my BGE when I go somewhere for a few days. Last year I went to the North Carolina Outer Banks, nice beach and weather, but couldn't grill. I tried to look into renting one for the week. I considered a mini BGE for the trip. Didn't have one then, but I do now.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Oh poor you...Being stuck in Alaska with all that fresh salmon. ..just saying
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I think I see cod and salmon but what is the middle fish! You must be enjoying yourself. I don't blame you for missing the BGE. It seems whenever I get a free day I plan something for the egg. BGE's are perfect for a vacation attitude.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • stemc33
    Options
    Just got off the plane in Denver. looked up to see where I was going and this what I found on a sign. One more flight to home.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Nice fish!
    Seattle, WA
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    I think that it would depend on the type of vacation. I'd probably have more of an itch during an outdoorsy vacation like yours. I probably wouldn't think about it as much during an urban/hotel vacation. We are heading to Europe for 10 days pretty soon so I will be testing that theory.

Also, I cringed a little when I saw pulled pork on the menu at Six Flags last week. I know that none of the food there is likely to be great, but I just couldn't eat PP like that since getting used to the good stuff from the egg.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • stemc33
    Options
    jhl192 said:
    I think I see cod and salmon but what is the middle fish! You must be enjoying yourself. I don't blame you for missing the BGE. It seems whenever I get a free day I plan something for the egg. BGE's are perfect for a vacation attitude.

If your talking about the middle picture, it's salmon. They got about 200 that day. The village is trying to get as many as they can before the Kings start running. When the Kings start running the game and fish start closing the waters. The kings are not doing so well in a lot of areas. Once the nets get shut down, subsistence fisherman will have to use small dip nets so the kings can pass up river to spawn. Here's a picture of how a lot of natives put up fish. My daughter filets and freezer packs and smokes some. image
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    There's a part of me that would love that lifestyle
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN