Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Is Kaput

Options
2»

Comments

• NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    Options
    I used my insurance one time for storm damage that I thought was going to be really expensive to fix. The adjusters wrote me a check for $1,600. Our insurance has crept up from 900 a year to 1500. I'll never use insurance again. btw $1600 wasn't even close to the cost of repair and I did the work myself....

Aurora,OH
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Deductible is usually 1 percent of your insured value. A new large would cost you about 1k, so it's not worth it unless your homes insured value is greater than 100k. This is assuming that the egg was the only thing damaged in the storm.
    You usually have a choice on your deductible.  Higher deductibles get lower rates.  My company offers at least $100, $250 and $500.
    The Naked Whiz
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    Cheaper to buy parts. Demo Egg could be cheaper than parts.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• nick_banich
    nick_banich Posts: 110
    Options
    Awesome news! I took @MaskedMarvel‌ 's advice and wrote a letter stating the facts to customer service. And saying I understood the warranty policy but was wondering if they could do anything. They asked for some photos and the name of my local dealer. At that point I thought I might get a $100 or $200 gift card or something.

Two days later BGE emailed me back and said they would cover the dome and base! The rest wasup tome to replace. After less than $250.... I'm Baaaaaack
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options

Awesome news! I took @MaskedMarvel‌ 's advice and wrote a letter stating the facts to customer service. And saying I understood the warranty policy but was wondering if they could do anything. They asked for some photos and the name of my local dealer. At that point I thought I might get a $100 or $200 gift card or something.

Two days later BGE emailed me back and said they would cover the dome and base! The rest wasup tome to replace. After less than $250.... I'm Baaaaaack

This (your story) should be the Poster Child for BGE! That my friend is fan-freakin-tastic customer service (especially in today's world). Awesome!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nick_banich
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ in the past when friends around the country have asked about BGE vs Primo I defaulted to the typical - depends on the local dealer / all great products- response. NO LONGER! This will be a story I tell every time I am asked!

I was pretty bummed out last Sunday and the first part of the week. When I got that email last Thursday, I was like a kid at Christmas.

Oh and kudos to SWMBO for agreeing to poney up the full price before I got that email. I guess she really does love me after all.
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• HawkeyeEgghead
    Options

Great ending and kudos to BGE.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    KiterTodd said:
    Home owners insurance is pretty cheap.

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

(sorry, New Orleans here.  Our rates are through the roof.  Pun intended.)
    Yeah, tell me about it.  Between homeowners and flood insurance we're paying around 3K/yr.  My buddy just bought a house outside of Bloomington, bigger than mine, and he's paying 1/10th of that.
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ might as well live in a beach house at those ins $$$. Fing blood sucking ticks! Not even gonna say what we pay but, not close to that and it's still too much IMO. But, I'll die in this house after all the work I've got into it. I love living here.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL - we might as well be in a beach house after Katrina.  Our insurance has doubled since before the storm.   I think we had about $4000 in damage, and the insurance a-holes wouldn't cover the back door that a douche-bag neighbor broke in his post-apocalyptic quest for booze.  (separate incident they said - and we couldn't get the local police to file a report on that because they were too busy trying to maintain the peace).  Unfortunately for the DB, I grabbed all the good booze before we went to Touro (hospital in Uptown) where we weathered out the storm. 

That guy ended up going to jail after an alcohol-fueled axe assault on another guy (no one serious injured), but he went straight from jail to being deported back to Ireland.  He also was the guy that stabbed my Audi's gas tank.  That was a $1000 gas tank.

Also, he's featured in a video where he implicates himself shooting people.  I can dig that up if you're interested.  He's a complete piece of garbage.
    Options
    Sounds like a real piece of "work" your neighbor. Hopefully still incarcerated neighbor. My neighbors are great and in fact our Son has dated the neighbor girl off and on for 4 or so yrs now and her Mother is my wife's BFF. In fact all my neighbors rock. That guy gives a bad definition of neighborly. Sucks. My cousin lived in New Orleans when Katrina ripped through and now she's back to FL. Preparedness is truly important (more important than a LOT of people think). Glad you made it out okay minus storm damage.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    In general, our neighborhood is filled with great people. Most everyone is friendly and out walking and talking to other neighbors.  Those people mostly evacuated, and a bunch of racist drunks remained (I'd say 90% evacuated).  This guy was one of maybe 5 idiots that just went ape-****.  They had "we shoot looter signs", and then did the looting under the guise of "survival".  They chased and shot some people who were trying to get through the neighborhood to the coast guard camp, some of them lived here.  There was no gang looting in our neighborhood.  Side of my garage (other house in the neighborhood) blew open and all my tools and stuff were untouched.  Anyway, the idiot personally hurt our property, and one of them told me they looted the supermarket.   Anyway, Paul Gleason (douch-bag extraordinaire) is gone for ever.  He lived on my street, on my block.   I'll PM ya a video of him.
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ Thanks for the PM I Watched the video. Although it's not funny and I realize it's serious, I couldn't help but, to knee jerk laugh over this moron. I believe in defending my "castle" but, this rocket scientist seemed more talk than action. But, who knows. One things for sure his @$$ ain't in the Good Ole' US of A anymore (good riddance ). Idiot.
    Ok time to "unhijack" this thread. ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    edited June 2014
    Options
    On the positive side, and you see people's true colors come out, a good friend of mine stayed and helped people.  He had a key to my house, emptied the refrigerator/freezer, partnered up with the emergency response people and used a big ol' pickup truck I had to deliver food and water to families.  He helped clear the roads, feed animals and was a complete saint.   He did that for about 3 weeks straight.  Our neighborhood was closed for a long time, we had emergency passes from our jobs so we got back in as soon as the power was restored - about 2 weeks.  For the next month there was maybe 20% of the population living here....a ghost town.  There was a dusk to dawn curfew.  Humvees and foot soldiers (Army) patrolled at night.  Non-stop helicopters flying low.  We had flashing lights and search lights at all hours.  They shut the power off at midnight to 6 AM to work on the grid, and it was freakin' miserable.  I charged batteries during the day and rigged up RC plane motors with props to cool down at night.  That's the reason I bought a whole-house standby generator.  We threw an October fest in the park, no permits (haha), and found up a band and several kegs of beer.  Every one kicked in food and I think we had at least 300 people show up.  I still remember the first time someone came in town with fresh meat and threw a BBQ.  It was glorious. You get sick of eating MREs and canned food.
    Options
    +1 on the standby generator. I'm glad I installed mine. But, it was a little late after getting hit back to back to back to back (4x) in 2004. We lose power we lose water and everything. No more. Excellent investment for Hurricane territory. That and ammo ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Yep, sorry about the threadjack.  @HPHuskerFL - I could go on and on about this....lots of stories.  Our hot water heater was still lit after the hurricane.  Natural gas is the most reliable utility here.  So now is my power.  We have a water service so we usually have 15 gallons or so of water.  And we have close to a pallet of soft drinks.  The limiting factor is adult beverage.
    Options
    Hard to believe, I have mine in a nest and have had the wheels hang up in driveway cracks, slide of the edge of the driveway and drop 1/2 into the dirt next to the driveway etc and it never tipped over.
    Dearborn MI
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,143
    Options
    Glad to hear it worked out! Love the BGE! Great service!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

@nolaegghead‌ Thanks for the PM I Watched the video. Although it's not funny and I realize it's serious, I couldn't help but, to knee jerk laugh over this moron. I believe in defending my "castle" but, this rocket scientist seemed more talk than action. But, who knows. One things for sure his @$$ ain't in the Good Ole' US of A anymore (good riddance ). Idiot.
    Ok time to "unhijack" this thread. ;-)

Damn. I thought he just played a douchebag in The Breakfast Club.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Awesome news! I took @MaskedMarvel‌ 's advice and wrote a letter stating the facts to customer service. And saying I understood the warranty policy but was wondering if they could do anything. They asked for some photos and the name of my local dealer. At that point I thought I might get a $100 or $200 gift card or something. Two days later BGE emailed me back and said they would cover the dome and base! The rest wasup tome to replace. After less than $250.... I'm Baaaaaack
    That's awesome news!  Always great to hear about solid customer support.

So, did anyone ask how the cross section of your egg looked since you had it broken open?  Was the color consistent all around or did you see any evidence of cracking or heat damage near the base.  Just curious how this thing wears over time with normal use...
    LBGE/Maryland
  • nick_banich
    Options
    @KiterTodd‌ I still have the pieces. I'll try to remember to take some photos tomorrow.
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN