Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can I fit 4 pork shoulders on my LBGE?

Has anyone every smoked 4 shoulders on their large BGE at once?

Have done 2 countless times but I need to make four of them. Any ideas (besides buying the XL) :-)

Comments

• jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    The shoulders are bone in 8-9 lbs a piece.
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739

I have seen it done on 2 levels. Not sure about one level though, some areas would be exposed to direct heat I would think on one level.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    I built a second level with a generic grill grate and 6" bolts as legs. 
  • Two levels and it is a piece of cake. I am shooting for 6 soon. This picture is from before I got the Adjustable Rig. Even easier now. These were about 7lb each bone in but that top grate was tiny.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    I have the grid extender from the group buy a while back. I have a MBGE grate on my second level (I have a LBGE). I recently cooked 28 lbs of pork butt. The butts were between 6.5 - 7.5 lbs each. I had 3 on the bottom and 1 on the top grate. I could have added another butt on top, but didn't need to for that cook. I would think you might need a second cooking level for those 4 large shoulders. Lots of options to achieve that. You will need a second cooking grid and something to raise it approx. 6 inches (maybe up to 7 or 8 inches). Perhaps others with more experience can add to that point. Good luck.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    It is barely possible without any kind of an extender, I've done it, but it's a massive PITA.  You have to place them 'on edge' and lean them up against each other, pay attention as they shrink during cooking, and rotate/re-arrange them at least once to make sure the ones in the middle get properly cooked.
  • LRGINMT
    LRGINMT Posts: 34
    I just did 6 Boston Butts that totaled a little over 42 lbs on my large.  I used 2 SS grids bolted together with 6" SS bolts.  Closing the dome was a little tricky at first but the cook went great and the end product was outstanding.
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    Great suggestions guys. 

Just like my recipes, I'll doctor a bit from each but I see it can be done and the right ideas to accomplish it. Have a daughters high school graduation and need a good bunch to feed the crowd.

Thanks a ton.

Love this forum.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I've done 3 ten pound butts on one level on the Large a couple times with no problem. Turned them a couple times for even cooking, but other than that no issue.
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    LRGINMT, did you keep the lower grate at the fire box level when you used the two grates?
    Dearborn MI