Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Definition of Heat Ranges

Options
I know when you are reading a recipe that says low-heat, that usually means 225-325 (I think).  But was was wondering if there is an industry standard for the terms Low-heat, Medium-heat, and High-heat.  

Comments

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Here's 'my' definition:

Smoking 250F and under
    BBQ 250 - 350F
    Grill 350F and above
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I know when you are reading a recipe that says low-heat, that usually means 225-325 (I think).  But was was wondering if there is an industry standard for the terms Low-heat, Medium-heat, and High-heat.  
    Are you referring to stove top cooking or egging? I can't remember seeing that terminology being used for anything but doing something on the stove top.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    In some cooking, temps must be very exact, such as cold or hot smoking sausages. But, most of the time, cooking temp terms are pretty loose. Older recipes will just use terms like "slow fire," or "fast fire."

The terms you mentioned are ones I usually encounter when recipes are talking about cooking w. kitchen stoves. The ones I've had will start at 225F and end around 550F. For even hotter temps, the broiler must be used. Using those temps, the ranges would roughly be 225 - 350 lo, 350 - 475 med., and 475+ hi.

With more people using thermometers, better recipes will suggest a temp range and time, but then say when the food can be considered done by temperature.

Actual industrial production, such as sausage making, can be very specific. I've read things like "meat of thickness N inches, with a temperature A, cook at temperature X and humidity Y for time Z +/- 10 min..."

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Adam Perry Lang notes in his cook books that grilling temps are 300 for low, 450 for medium and 525 for high, 750+ for sear. He eyeballed the fire at where he typically cooks for each level and then used an infrared thermometer to quantify it. It's not industry standard but it's nice to have it for my use. I've had good success with multiple cookbooks.
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options

Stephen Raichlens' BBQ USA books lists these temps:

low-250-275'

med. low-300'

med.325-350'

med high- 400'

high-450-650'