Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Stone

I am brand new to the green egg and by no means am I ready to do a pizza in it yet, but I was wondering if you could use a normal pizza stone you would use in the oven in the green egg?? Thanks!

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I've haven't done pizza yet, but I was told that the ones like at Bed Bath Beyond or Walmart couldn't handle the higher heat like the one from BGE or Ceramic Grill Work's. I am thinking of trying to do some soon.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Pizzas on the BGE are great and well worth the extra insurance that the BGE pizza stone gives you.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Certainly don't use your wife's Pampered Chef stone. That was my plan but luckily I saw others that had theirs shatter before I did. I got the BGE stone.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    BGE stone here. First dozen or so pies I used my wife's Pampered Chef stone and was fortunate it did not shatter it (it is very seasoned and very black now ;-) ).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    edited June 2014
    I've an Old Stone 16" pizza stone for the past 7 years.  Use it in oven and egg.  I think you're probably good with any thick stone made from quality material.
    Mamaroneck
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    I use the bge stone. I bought it.with the egg. Didn't use it for 4 years. MISTAKE!!! pizza is fan freakin tactic on the egg. Don't wait.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Yes, try it sooner rather than later.  If you screw it up, it's not like you wasted a huge amount of time or money on ingredients.  If you've made pizza on a stone in the oven before, it's not a huge leap to make it on the egg.  If not, the trickiest part is getting the dough rolled out properly and figuring out how to negotiate it onto the hot stone.  Just do it once a week until you master it!
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • jfmccaul
    jfmccaul Posts: 4
    Thanks for the info! Glad I didn't throw the wife's oven stone in there. It's only about 1/2" thick!
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    I use the pizza stone from the ceramic grill store. 16" and very good quality.
    I have done a homemade pizza yet, but I have done a couple of Papa Murphys which turned out great. I wish I would have tried them sooner.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Have a look at these, http://www.axner.com/kiln-shelves.aspx
    Priced reasonably, shipping is a bit high, but quality stones.
    Less $$ than many other pizza stones, for sure.
    I'm very happy with the 16" kiln shelf I have. 5/8" thick.

XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Try the Emile Henry stone. About $50 on Amazon. It has been great whether on the Egg or in the oven. It is glazed and the pie just slides off!

"i'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missin'"

Cleveland, OH

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    If you try the Papa Murphys, if they are not busy I take some parchment paper along and they will put it under the crust which makes it very easy to slide onto the stone. I slide it out as soon as the pizza lets loose of the paper.  I do them at 425° per instructions and it seems to work well.  Have not tried using their tray on the stone, but I suspect as soon as the pizza will slide you can remove the tray
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Try the Emile Henry stone. About $50 on Amazon. It has been great whether on the Egg or in the oven. It is glazed and the pie just slides off!
    +1 Emile Henry stone for inside and BGE. 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    sometimes the Emile Henry stone is on WOOT.  I got mine for $20

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    BGE pizza stone works great for me,temp at 700 dome. Worth every penny.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I still use the thin Pampered Chef stone, just cause I had it before the Egg.  Hasn't cracked yet.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    I use use my pampered chef stone and have no issues.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Not sure what size egg you have. I have a large and found that the 16" worked well for pizza if I cooked at the gasket level but, as soon as I tried raising it up in the dome it was difficult to maintain higher temps (reduced air flow). I dropped down to a 14" stone and it works much better.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I have an old Pizza Que and a new BGE stone. Both work fine. Someone said for high heat concentrate on the thicker pizza stones and you will be good. Pampered chef thin is ok in oven at lower temps but will shatter in the egg. Don't be discouraged. I bought my egg in April, used it under 350 degrees three times as recommended and my fourth cook (high heat pizza) turned out perfect pizzas on my first try. I have made numerous pizzas and never had one not turn out. I am now requested to do pizza parties .   
    Dearborn MI
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Depending on the temps you're gonna cook your pizza, any stove rated for the oven will work. Just don't exceed the manufactures recommended maximum temp and you'll be fine.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Plate setter also works. But you can burn a pizza in a hurry if you're not on top of it.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    I've an Old Stone 16" pizza stone for the past 7 years.  Use it in oven and egg.  I think you're probably good with any thick stone made from quality material.
    My experience also.  Stones can handle the heat.  I read they can't handle direct exposure to flame, which is one of the reasons it's nice to have a legs up plate setter under it.

I've also found that stones only break when they are cracked.  They tend to get banged around and sometimes you won't notice a hairline crack until it breaks, which happens at temperature.  So, perhaps among other benefits the thicker stones are a little more durable to handling.

Don't be afraid to use what you have if the pizza making mood strikes you and you haven't bought anything egg specific yet.  ;)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    BGE stone all the way.  Far better than the POS I had bought at BB&B.
    Kemah, TX
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    BigWader said:
    sometimes the Emile Henry stone is on WOOT.  I got mine for $20
    I got one on Woot for under $20 too. They seem to offer it several times a year. I've used it a bunch and it works great. The glaze finish makes for easy maintenance. Even at full price, it's a good buy. 

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Some have had trouble with non green egg stone but I have used my wifes pampered chef stone for six years and it still works fine.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• that_dude_Dave
    that_dude_Dave Posts: 55
    edited June 2014
    I use cast iron 

St. Louis Barbeque Society certified competition judge

XL and MiniMax
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Dave, do your pizzas get done at the same time at different heights? If not how much of a time difference? I need to figure out a way to do two pies at a time.
    Dearborn MI
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2014
    Eggdam said:

I use use my pampered chef stone and have no issues.

What temp are ya doing your pies at? We've had our Pampered Chef stone close to 15+yrs and it's great but, they aren't deigned for high temps. I still occasionally use it for cookies and such on the egg but, those are done somewhere around 350℉-375℉. If your rolling pies at 600℉-800℉ don't risk your PC stone. FWIW
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • KenfromMI said:
    Dave, do your pizzas get done at the same time at different heights? If not how much of a time difference? I need to figure out a way to do two pies at a time.
    I didn't put these in the picture in at the same time since it took me time to roll out the second pie after the first one was made, so they went in shifts... but I would imagine that they would cook pretty evenly if they had gone in together
    St. Louis Barbeque Society certified competition judge

XL and MiniMax
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Thanks, 
    Dearborn MI