Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini, brats and a bad thermometer

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

My MINI has been neglected lately. Heck, this year. We've been using the large as we have generally been doing meats and veggies on the grill and have needed all the real estate we could get. Last night, SWMBO'ed wanted brats and sauerkraut and who am I to argue? Since it was just brats, I busted out the Egg. Seemed to take a while to get started. I originally chalked it up to really old lump. After waiting a good long time, then looking at the coals and holding my hand over the top vent, I realized it was my thermometer. I figured I was up to about 350-400, so I just tossed the brats in anyway.

Almost done

The thermometer after I was done cooking. No way was it 200F.

I kinda recall in a bit of a haze the stem on that thermometer being bent. Almost at a 45 degree angle. Can't remember how anymore. Ever since, I've just moved my other thermometer from egg to egg depending on which one was getting used. Musta forgot about that last night. I'll probably just toss this one and replace it. Does anybody know if there is a digital option I can go with? Or would I have to worry about batteries and rain and stuff? Just seems like digital would be a cool way to go.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments