Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt or pork shoulder

Harleybob
Harleybob Posts: 6
Going to make pulled pork this weekend. My question is butt or shoulder? What would be the best choice?

Comments

• legomyeggo
    legomyeggo Posts: 113
    Pork Butt. Did a shoulder once and did not like it at all compared to pork butt. I was surprised that it really had more of a "ham" taste than pork butt., My opinion. 
  • dfrea
    dfrea Posts: 7
    I thought they were the same thing?  I think something from the actual "butt" end would be called a ham.  I'm doing 20 pounds this weekend, label says "pork butt bone in"
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Butt is half the shoulder. Other half is called picnic. Both are great. Picnic is a little sweeter in my opinion.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I don't notice much difference. I prefer the butt because it doesn't have that thick skin on it. I prefer the picnic because it's about $1/lb cheaper.Sometimes more. They used to be pretty much the same price. Around here anyway.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• legomyeggo
    legomyeggo Posts: 113
    I thing hi54putty put it best - picnic is sweeter.

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I usually go with a Boston Butt. 

XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    The mixture of the two is really good if you do a whole shoulder.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    edited May 2014
    I usually do butts only since I do not need that much meat but last week I did a butt and picnic.  There is a difference if you do both and mix rather than just a butt or picnic alone. I found it not to be a big difference though. You will lose more weight to bones in a picnic as well.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Harleybob
    Harleybob Posts: 6
    Thanks. Going with the butt