Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gulf of Mexico's Finest..... Hognose Snapper (pics)

Options

I have posted a similar discussion in the past but it is worth posting new pics.  If you have never had it and you enjoy white fish you have got to try Hog Snapper.  Most common in gulf coast states, I have recently found a great selection of these at local RD in Tampa.  Simple is the key...  Score flesh, salt, pepper, lots of evoo to keep from sticking.  About 6 minutes per side at 450 direct (these are 1.5lb fish) and finish with fresh lemon and a little butter.  I will put this up against any fish you can find.  Amazing.  Almost has a lobster type sweetness.

See if your local RD or whole foods stock it.....

Comments

• Buckegg
    Buckegg Posts: 13
    Options
    Those are my favorites as well.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks delicious! Yes, they definitely have a sweetness close to that of a warm water or Keys Lobster. But, I'm still a huge fan of Pompano. I hope to be able to hit the intercoastal this year when they are running.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Big Ragu
    Big Ragu Posts: 148
    Options
    Looks delicious! Yes, they definitely have a sweetness close to that of a warm water or Keys Lobster. But, I'm still a huge fan of Pompano. I hope to be able to hit the intercoastal this year when they are running.

how do you prepare pompano....  never tried to cook em

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Big Ragu said:

how do you prepare pompano....  never tried to cook em

LOL 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • GATABITES
    edited May 2014
    Options
    @BigRagu - Did you buy these frozen from RD? 

I always get overwhelmed by the amount of food in RD. Its hard to go and not get side tracked with the abundance of food items. I usually go and head straight to the beef and pork section, freeze my butt off and walk out with a boston butt or a brisket. LOL
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Big Ragu
    Options
    GATABITES said:

I always get overwhelmed by the amount of food in RD. Its hard to go and not get side tracked with the abundance of food items. I usually go and head straight to the beef and pork section, freeze my butt off and walk out with a boston butt or a brisket. LOL
    GATA  tag says ur in MD but are u a bucs fan? 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2014
    Options
    @Big Ragu‌ I've prepared Pompano several ways. My favorite was simply to descale it, lightly score flesh and coat with oil to help prevent sticking, extremely thin sliced lemon, S&P on the grill. I also liked it filleted and blackened in a CI pan. To me this is not a fish I would fry but, I guess you could. They are described as the fish that comes with its own butter (they are just that good). Not to mention they are a fun game fish to catch (we did well in the past with sand fleas and also clams).
    I will add this»»» the last time I had Pompano I was using my deceased gasser and haven't had the pleasure of egging any "YET". That being said I think on the grill I'd go raised direct 325℉-350℉. And blackened in CI pan I think similar to any CI sear would be perfect.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Sign me up coach
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GATABITES
    Options
    Big Ragu said:
    GATABITES said:

GATA  tag says ur in MD but are u a bucs fan? 
    I live in the Baltimore area but I was raised just outside of Tampa. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    good looking fish.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Big Ragu
    Options
    GATABITES said:

No they were fresh.  They pulled them out of a cardboard box packed with shaved ice.  Box said Mexico...

GO BUCS!!!