Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Tragedy

2»

Comments

• probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Following up here instead of starting another thread.

Still have the Egg.  Since the incident described above I noticed a lot of smoke leaking between the dome and the base.  Even though I hadn't had a gasket in years, I figured something had gotten tweaked.  I called the mother ship and ordered a new hinge assembly and gasket.  Figured I might as well replace the gasket since I noticed it had been taking longer to shut down and was wasting charcoal.

The replacement was fairly uneventful but wanted to comment on a couple of issues.  First, the red spacers the instructions say to place equally around the Egg before tightening everything down just didn't work for me.  It left a gap that was way too big and I had to loosen the bands up, let the dome slide down and rest against the base then tighten everything up again.  Not only did it not pass the dollar bill test prior to doing that but I could actually see through the gap.

Secondly, I much prefer the old wood handle to the new plastic one.  I fired up the grill to do a test, leaving the dome open as usual until the fire got going.  The handle was uncomfortably hot when I went to close the grill.

But at the end of the day, for $125 or so, I have a perfectly functioning, if not perfect looking, large Egg.
  • SpartanPride
    SpartanPride Posts: 161
    Sounds to me like a good opportunity to buy a 2nd egg and "wait for the insurance company to come pick up your damaged one."  If they do...nothing lost.  If they don't, two eggs!  
  • probe1957
    It has been a year since the damage.  Probably should have mentioned that.
  • SpartanPride
    SpartanPride Posts: 161
    Well, then it's a slush fund for the Mini Max
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    :-?? What's the holdup on the insurance company? A year seems like a crazy long time for a resolution on a claim. I've seen major hurricane claims take less time.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    canegger said:
    Gut the egg. Take out the fire box and ring ceramic cap and daisy wheel or find a broken one and give them that
    Technically, I think that would be insurance fraud.  Not a game to play lightly.  It can't hurt to ask the adjuster what will be done with it / if you can keep some of the smaller parts...but if your car was totaled, and insurance was going to replace it, you wouldn't be allowed to strip it before turning it over to them.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    njl said:

canegger said:

Gut the egg. Take out the fire box and ring ceramic cap and daisy wheel or find a broken one and give them that

Technically, I think that would be insurance fraud.  Not a game to play lightly.  It can't hurt to ask the adjuster what will be done with it / if you can keep some of the smaller parts...but if your car was totaled, and insurance was going to replace it, you wouldn't be allowed to strip it before turning it over to them.

What will be done with it? With the new hinge assembly & gasket I'd say it'll be used at the adjusters home or office for some killer Q. :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • probe1957
    :-?? What's the holdup on the insurance company? A year seems like a crazy long time for a resolution on a claim. I've seen major hurricane claims take less time.
    The claim was paid long ago but they never picked up the Egg as they said they would.