Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is your dome thermometer accurate?

Options
I stuck my thermapen probe into the egg between the gaskets and it reads 15 to 20 degrees hotter than the dome thermometer.

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Best way to check is pull dome thermo out and put the tip in boiling water
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Heat rises, so dome temp will generally be 20 - 40 degrees hotter than grate temptemp but have tried calibrating the thermometer. thermometer it should read opposite of what you're getting
    Mamaroneck
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Grid temp is usually different than dome, on indirect cooks its usually lower, direct higher. If your thermapen was not in the shadow of your indirect piece (plate setter, stone, etc) it will typically be higher than dome. To check your dome thermo for calibration, boil some water on the stove and remove your dome thermo and check it in the water. Should be 100*C +/- based on elevation. There is a but you can turn on the back of it to line it up if its off.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I was thinking mine was off but it seemed to be fine this last cook I did. I may still check it this weekend with boiling water. I think I am either doing beef ribs or spare ribs. Not sure yet. I have a full beef tenderloin that I still want to cook.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • kthacher
    kthacher Posts: 155
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Heat rises, so dome temp will generally be 20 - 40 degrees hotter than grate temptemp but have tried calibrating the thermometer. thermometer it should read opposite of what you're getting

This post is wrong. The hottest part of the Egg is where the fire is. There is a temp gradient where the minimum temp will be dome. It does not matter that heat rises. If you take that thinking to the extreme, it means that the dome will be hotter than the flame. Clearly impossible. My dome temp only comes close to matching grid temp, when steady state occurs. Meaning the lid closed for a significant time. Otherwise grid is always hotter than dome,
    Winnipeg, Canada
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Where ya placed Thermapen you read radiant and convection heat vs dome which is more convection unless of course you're blazing 600℉ with no PS. If you think the Tel-Tru is inaccurate recalibrate it takes 5-10 minutes. Easy peezy
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL