Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

St Louis Ribs for memorial day?

Local butcher has st Lou on sale this week. I usually smoke em then wrap in foil. When done I sauce em on direct. I was wondering is I need to foil them or if I could just go low and slow?

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    No need to foil or sauce. I do rub only and let them roll til they pass the bend test. Low n slow or turbo, just depends how long you want it to take.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    +1
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    I do them both ways with or without foil but I always sauce the last 30 minutes or so. I love sauced ribs. I always foil if my wife is eating with me because she prefers fall off the bone. I'll do a 3-2-30-30 for her. 
    Dearborn MI
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Ever since I went turbo, I haven't went back.  

350* until bend test (2 hours +/- ), no foil, sauce last 30 minutes.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    It's not necessary to foil them on the egg. Low and slow for 5 hours works perfect for me.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • KenfromMI
    I generally do my Spares 6 hours and my BB's for 5 if foiling you really don't need the "bend" test. Foiling is predictable for ribs anyway. Think I might try turbo Monday, rest them while I ramp up the heat for a pizza and serve together. I am nervous though, I am kind of a rib snob and Turbo doesn't seem like it could be as good but there is only one way to find out.
    Dearborn MI
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    No foil, 6 hours at 250, for St louis style ribs,bend test, works every time for me.
  • PhillyBoy23
    PhillyBoy23 Posts: 50
    Thanks for the ideas. I' ll post pics over the weekend.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    I am doing Spares this weekend too (St Louis Style).  It has been awhile, so I cant friggin wait to fire up my egg!

I have always done my ribs with foil in a 3-ish, 2-ish, 1-ish approach.  I foiled with butter/tiger-sauce/honey.  Always great, but seems like lots of the experts here think it is unnecessary? 

This weekend I will just go mustard/rub then on the egg at 250 until finished using the bend test.  Lets see!   
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • KenfromMI
    If I foiled I use a little pineapple juice. I tried the squeeze margarine, honey, brown sugar etc but just like the plain old pineapple juice out of the little can. A few TBSP per foil.

Dearborn MI
  • legomyeggo
    legomyeggo Posts: 113
    I foil them briefly but I also use mango drink mix in the foil - they call it mango puree sometimes but has corn syrup in it I think. Anyway, I foil them for an hour only with the mango mix, then pour that off into a saucepan, add some other stuff that I just grab - like some OJ or Pineapple juice, some sweet soy.. Thicken it, use as a glaze and finish on the grill. I do NOT use a lot - hate real soupy ribs.

My wife loves mango ANYTHING and I use this stuff on chickens too.