Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New York Pizza - from the source. I think I can do this.

Cookinbob
Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
I live in the northeast, and everywhere you go you see ads for "Real New York Pizza".  I have had some pretty good pizza, some claiming to be authentic NY style pizza, but never went to the source.  Well this weekend, my wife and I went to NYC as tourists, and among other things did a "food tour" (which was a highlight of the trip), and ate some real New York Pizza.  One stop was Joe's Pizza on Carmine St in the west village.  Acclaimed by many to be the best slice in the city, and it did not disappoint.  Crust that was super thin, crispy on the bottom, but not like a cracker.  tangy sauce and just enough Mozzarella.  the only additional topping you can get here is Pepperoni - I did without.  Curious guy that I am, I asked questions and learned that the sauce is straight San Marzano Tomatoes.  The cheese is whole milk Mozzarella. The flour has fairly high gluten (al the details I could get), and the pizza is cooked at 550 degrees. It was heaven.

Next day I went to Mario Batali's "Eataly" which was an incredible experience in itself.  Ordered a Margharita pie there which was cooked in a large wood fired oven.  This does not claim to be NY pizza, rather Neopolitan, but was virtually identical to Joe's pie with the exception of a little char on the bottom of the crust.  I could not get particulars on the cook temp, but I did learn that their sauce is again San Marzano tomatoes.  The flour is organic, and from a mill in the Catskills that grinds it special for them, so no clue, but it is not 00.  Heaven again.  I was not hungry, but ate a 12" pie, and could have eaten a second.  Not as heavy as a lot of pizzas.

I am inspired.  I am going back to basics with my NY dough recipe (from serious eats), San Marzanos for sauce (bought them today) and whole milk Mozzarella.  Fresh basil which I will add after the cook.    I will be cooking them at 550 on the stone in my Egg come Friday night if the weather cooperates. Pics of course.  
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Is be interested to hear about the food tour details. We're heading up over Christmas.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Bob, great story! Hope your pies turn out well. I use just canned tomatoes and a little salt sometimes too. Kenji's NY sauce recipe is good too. http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/10/the-pizza-lab-homemade-pizza-sauce-new-york-style-recipe.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Cookinbob
    fusionhq said:
    Is be interested to hear about the food tour details. We're heading up over Christmas.
    If you do a web search for Foods of NY Tour, you will find it.  We did the Greenwich Village tour. Eataly is also a great destination, it is an Italian market with embedded eateries covering almost an entire city block.  It is easy to find, on 5th ave. right across from the Flatiron bldg.
    Rochester, NY
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited May 2014
    That's a great write-up, thanks.  Good intel.  ;)

I've always used Don Pepino sauce.  I've seen this used in some NY/NJ pizzerias and it is pretty easy to find now in most food stores.  We used to have to get it in an Italian market.

It's a pretty simple tangy sauce, without a strong oregano flavor like you get in virtually any other pizza sauce you buy.  I've tried a handful of other prepared pizza sauces over the years and don't like them.  They try too hard.  As you mentioned with the San Marzaon tomato only sauce...it should be simple.  Good tomato flavor.  Not a lot else.

Ingredients
    Don Pepino uses only garden fresh tomatoes, plucked from the vine at their peak of ripeness. Cholesterol free corn oil and a blend of imported spices are mixed with the fresh whole tomatoes to create our unique delicious tasting pizza sauce. Our unique processing system captures all the natural flavors and seals in an extraordinary fresh taste. Unlike many of our competitors, our recipe never includes paste, purees, preservatives, starches, gums, sugar, artificial color, citric acid, or fillers.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Cookinbob
    I use Don Pepino too, and I like it,  but am going for the San Marzanos for the next cook.  I will probably add a little Olive oil and salt though and hit with the stick blender
    Rochester, NY
  • Carolina Q
    I don't know why it does this, but it bugs me. Whenever I use a food processor or stick blender on canned tomatoes, they change color! From red to orange. Seems to affect the taste too, but not sure why (or whether it's just my imagination). Anyway, it drives me nuts so I hand crush whole romas or better yet, run them through a food mill.

Never heard of Don Pepino. I use either Cento or Rienzi. 6 in 1 are supposed to be good too, but I've never tried them.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    San Marzanos.
    I always use San Marzanos, seasoned with salt, pepper, italian seasoning(very little) and 1 tblsp of lemon infused olive oil. I can even get away with pre cooked pizza dough just because of the tomatoes.

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379

My wife cant stand tomato sauce. I love it. All of this talk of using San Marzanos as sauce and a great canned sauce ( Don Pepino), has inspired me to find one or both of these and try them!

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2014

Cento San Marzanos are all I use.  Crush by hand.  Salt, white pepper, fresh minced garlic, red wine vinagar, sugar all to taste.  Like mentioned, many try too hard.  Pass on the oregano, way too overpowering.  Basil is a must, chiffonaded on top post cook to release the oils is ideal.  If you want a little smokey, salty heat to compliment the sauce, try finding Calabrian Chiles.  Slice a few and spread.  I get mine at goitalygourmet.com.  Make an infused oil with them, put into a squeeze bottle to drizzle on the pie when it comes off the egg.  About a dozen sliced calabrians, and 3/4 premium EVOO.  You can adjust heat by adding more oil.  Store in fridge.  Also real parm grated with a microplane before adding your basil post cook takes things to another level.  You don't need alot.  Nice considering the price per lb of Italian crack. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    All this pizza talk is making me hungry. What? No pics of your NY pizzas?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jad
    jad Posts: 70
    I have never been to Italy but I have been told by people who have that the pizza they ate was the best and it was all about the tomato.
    To be a true San Marzano they need to be from a certain region and need to be marked DOP to designate them.
    If you read many of the labels they will say San Marzano-style or Italian-style and many will not have the DOP certified mark on them.
    Cary NC
  • JerseyTex
    JerseyTex Posts: 53
    I come from NJ and you can NOT seem to get NY Pizza any place but NY,NJ and CT. I think it has to do with the water. Good luck I look forward to hearing how you make out. Keep us updated.
  • Carolina Q
    jad said:
    If you read many of the labels they will say San Marzano-style or Italian-style and many will not have the DOP certified mark on them.
    I can get these here. Frankly, I don't notice much difference.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    edited May 2014
    jad said:
    I can get these here. Frankly, I don't notice much difference.

Yep, those are it.  Cento=100% 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I was in an office in Indiana last week and there was an Italian market down below. Quick trip through the store told me there was nothing I couldn't get at home except the Cento San Marzanos. By the time I got out the store was closed and didn't get the chance to pick them up. Toronto has or had the largest Italian born population of any city outside of Italy. I can get San Marzano style tomatoes and other San Marzanos from Italy but not the Cento. They were over 5 bucks a can. Makes me wonder why there is no demand here for them.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Focker
    edited May 2014

In the Midwest, I can get them at a local Schnucks, based in St. Louis.  Most here don't even know the difference in flavor and presentation(brightness).  They are $3/can. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Carolina Q
    Focker said:

Most here don't even know the difference in flavor and presentation(brightness).  They are $3/can. 

Like I said, neither do I. Not all stores carry them, but a couple. I forget the price, but $3 sounds about right. Versus <$2 for tomatoes that I think are just as good.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker

Sorry man, Centos trump anything I have tried here.  And I have searched every grocer in my area.

If you can find a cheaper alternative, rock on.

:-c
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    What brand are the <$2/tomatoes?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Carolina Q
    Actually, they are Cento crushed. Not DOP. Not Italian either...image

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Cookinbob
    I bought mine at Wegmans, their Italian Classics (only brand they carry)  There are certified, but I paid $3.99 a can.  I am pretty sure I can get Cento at an Italian grocery for less.
    Griffin said:
    All this pizza talk is making me hungry. What? No pics of your NY pizzas?
    I gave in to pressure from SWMBO about taking pictures of all my food :(
    SM1.jpg 162.3K
    SM2.jpg 220.5K
    Rochester, NY
  • Focker
    Actually, they are Cento crushed. Not DOP. Not Italian either...image
    Use their paste exclusively.  Would love to find some of their new "Vegetable Paste"
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    I started using San Marzano tomatoes a long time ago when I received the Rao's cookbook which they recommended. Carolina Q I'm guessing the color change is just due to aeration from the blender adding air and expanding the tomatoes. Try crushing or a lower speed and see what happens or throw in a few TBSP of tomato paste to the mix. CookinBob funny you mention 550 degrees. I have only had two days of cooking multiple pizzas since buying the egg but that's the temperature I started with. I was nervous to try 650 or more for the first time. I never ramped up the temperature after making my best pizzas ever first try. I'd like them to com faster but 550 seems perfect for now.
    Dearborn MI