Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Egg is on the Crack!

500 Posts: 3,177
It's not desperate yet. There's time for an intervention. What does this number mean? Is it my serial number? The bunny is there for emotional support.
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    If your egg is under warranty I'd get the firebox replaced but I'd keep cooking on the one you have until it grenades. If that's the serial # it's the lowest one I've ever seen.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
    Bought it new like 4 years ago maybe 5. That number is on the base. Weird.
    Member since 2009
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I've had a new warranty firebox in my garage since last July when I had the base replaced. My cracked original hasn't failed yet...

Order the new one and keep on egging
    Is the number 25 on the base my serial number?
    Member since 2009
  • Letz4wheel
    Letz4wheel Posts: 236
    No that is not your serial number. Your serial number is in the dome. It should be 4 numbers if I remember correctly.
    Southern Indiana
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited May 2014
    Not the serial number but the "slip mold" that your firebox was made in. The mfg process is poring liquid ceramic mix into the poreous mold which extracts the water and forms the ceramic piece. In time those molds do wear out or develop problems so if a deformed piece occurs they know which of their numerous molds to go look at.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    edited May 2014
    What does the bunny pic mean? Not up on crack lingo.
    Brampton, Ontario

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    I've had my egg for a year now, little longer. I have the same crack forming in my firebox as well. Just registered my egg online the other day. It's on record at the place I bought it from, and they are an authorized dealer, so I'm sure I'm fine... right? ;)

Do I contact the dealer I bought from, or is there a direct contact for BGE for warranty issues? I'd like to get my firebox replaced before it falls apart.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @ReldtiCDN‌ the bunny is emotional support. Lol
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Your serial number is in the dome

XLBGE 
  • After over 20 years of ownership and 2 moves (Atlanta to Maryland; Maryland to Hawaii) my medium eggs firebox finally needed replacing.
    Can't find my serial number. I found the original receipt for it. No number on it. I've had it since Feb. 2009. Maybe they didn't put numbers in them back then?
    Member since 2009
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    500 said:
    Can't find my serial number. I found the original receipt for it. No number on it. I've had it since Feb. 2009. Maybe they didn't put numbers in them back then?

Having the receipt ought to be enough proof unless your dealer is jacking you around. Call Hotlanta for help if your dealer isn't going to honor the company warranty.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Besides, your warranty is with Big Green Egg, not any given dealer.
    If I don't have to go back to the dealer I bought it from, then great, cause he stinks. I'll go to Gusti's. They are not only dealers, but they cook on them as well.
    Member since 2009
  • eggLaTech
    eggLaTech Posts: 28
    When I went to register my egg on-line, I couldn't find the serial number as described on the website. I called BGE themselves. The guy I talked to (can't remember his name) told me to put 0414, the month and year I got it. Plus, I have my receipt as backup. I'm sure you'll be fine.
    Baton Rouge, La - I'm going to quit procrastinating.......starting tomorrow.