Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare Ribs: 3-2-1 vs Cooked Straight Thru (No Foil)

Options

Well yesterday I cooked a couple of racks of spares.  My wife and mom both really like my ribs so I cooked a couple of racks for them for mothers day. Both racks were rubbed with John Henry's Pecan rub overnight. I decided to cook 1 rack with the Johnny Trigg 3-2-1 method of foiling the ribs with a mixture of butter, honey, tiger sauce, & brown sugar after 3 hours.  And then pull from foil after 2 hours and cook 1 more hour back on the grid with no foil.  The other rack went straight thru on the grid with no foil. I sauced both at exact same time (after 5 hours) with a homemade BBQ sauce. I cooked at a temp of about 235.  At that temp the ribs actually took about 6 1/2 hours to complete.  Both sets finished at exact same time which surprised me because I figured the foil ones would finish first with the steam from the juices in the foil.  Coming off the grill both sets looked nearly identical - the foiled set had pulled from the bone slightly more.  Now for the taste test - 4 adults eating.  2 adults picked 3-2-1 and one said he couldn't hardly tell the difference.  I had my wife pull me one from each rack and I did the same, with me knowing ribs like I do it wasn't that hard for me to figure out which was which but taste wise almost identical. Only real difference was the foiled set pulled off bone more easily.  While the no foiled ones you had to bite more off the bone but make no mistake there was no meat left on the bone.  Great pull off and nothing left but bare bones. The one thing I did prefer on the non foiled ribs was they had slightly more of a bark on the outside which is my favorite part.  All in all everyone said had I mixed them all together and never said a word they would have thought they were all the same ribs.  Which I thought was great, will save me a little extra trouble in the future.  I will probably just do straight thru no foil 75-80% of the time now. 

Also, sorry no pics.  I had planned for a 6:00 supper and the ribs ran a little over to around 6:45 so the family was hovering over me like vultures when I came in with the ribs.

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    Interesting test.  Thanks for taking the time to write it up.  I am surprised that the difference is so slight with those Trigg ribs sitting in all that sugar and butter.
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    Cowdogs said:
    Interesting test.  Thanks for taking the time to write it up.  I am surprised that the difference is so slight with those Trigg ribs sitting in all that sugar and butter.
    I have done both at different times and enjoyed both but to be honest I was a little surprised as well.  I knew the 3-2-1 would be more fall off the bone but also expected more flavor.  Maybe slightly but not a lot.....

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Options
    IMHO crutching is more of an advanced technique and is not needed for back yard cooks.
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975