Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home made starters

Options
Griff2w2
Griff2w2 Posts: 53
edited May 2014 in EggHead Forum
So I learned this trick for camping a while ago. If you stick a handful of cottonballs in a tub of petroleum jelly and let it soak in, you have great home made fire starters. (In a sealed container no less!) My question is, is this a viable substitute for the startercubes or would there be a concern when burning the petroleum in the egg?

Comments

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    I would just use crisco and not worry about it.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2014
    Options

Buy those individual packs of potato chips for kindling and egg startups.  Fritos and Doritos work great in a pinch.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Griff2w2
    Options
    I get its unorthodox and I appreciate the input. I meant more along the lines of I have a boatload of these and wanted to make sure they would be egg-safe
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    Just buy a propane torch and be done.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • lemonade
    lemonade Posts: 93
    Options
    The word "petroleum" just doesn't seem to settle with me when also talking about "egging" and "food" and "natural lump".   I don't deny it's a good fire starter.  So is charcoal lighter fluid.  I'm sure it's egg safe, but is it flavor safe and/or food safe?  I honestly don't know so I will stick with a chimney starter and paper or parrafin starter square.....
    Is it done yet? Is it done yet?
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    +1 with what @lemonade‌ said. Petroleum seems like such a nasty word when it comes to food. I have have no idea about your question. I just couldn't do it. I can't even put Vaseline on cracked lips.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Griff2w2
    Options
    @Lemonade, if you are concerned about petroleum derivatives I would recommend you stop using the paraffin cubes as they are derived from petroleum as well.  Some other names petroleum jelly (a.k.a. Vaseline) is known by are Soft White paraffin, Liquid Paraffin and Petrolatum.   I have looked up the MSDS for any variation of Vaseline/Petroleum Jelly and the only hazard I can find is carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide when burned.  As for taste/scent I guess I will just have to test this out on my old grill I have been meaning to send to the big ol’ grill farm in the sky.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Try this. Take a cardboard egg carton and fill ithe cups with dryer lint. Melt your used candle wax and poor over the dryer lint. When it hardens you have instant fire starters. Tear off what you need from the carton and go. My wife learned this in Girl Scouts when she was a kid.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Griff2w2
    Options
    That's a pretty neat trick cortguitarman!  When I first started camping minimalist style lint in a TP roll was my go to in a pinch along with the Dakota Fire Hole. (Same concept as an egg)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Here is another alternative:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.