Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first experience with Rockwood...18 hours and going strong.

Options
The last several times I tried to do a low and slow with 4 butts the royal oak charcoal only lasted 13 hours. The problem is with the spider and adjustable rig in order to fit the butts on both grids you can only fill the charcoal to the bottom of the spider. Last night I loaded Rockwood charcoal based on some advice I got on this forum. I started the grill at 7:00 p.m. last night and it is still going strong. The grill temp started going down at 6:00 a.m. when I pulled the pork and looked, there was one round hole all the way to the bottom but there was still plenty of charcoal. I stirred it up and put the butts back on. The butts were about 8 lbs. the biggest butt is still cooking. I've got 4 more butts ready to go tonight. I'm using the Foodsaver to freeze it for my daughter's wedding reception. I appreciate all of the help that I get on this forum. I will use Rockwood for low and slow cooks from now on. I have a lot of royal oak to use up faster cooks.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    That lump charcoal is quite the product-similar eggsperience last weekend with a 15 hour brisket cook followed by ABT's and a hot&fast.  
    The real deal...and I do burn some store brand RO for the simple hot&fast cooks.  Good luck with the remainder of your cooks.  Great way to spend the weekend!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    Rockwood......well it rocks!! Best I have used!! Long burning, hot, very neutral taste. Only negative is slightly slower to start than some others but still top tier stuff.

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    I agree100%..Now try layering some Fogo lump around the vents ( they are big pieces,and allow good air flow)...then fill up with Rockwood. This works great for me on my low and slows.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    Rockwood = The best!

Royal Oak = The worst!

I am a broken record but you get what you pay for!
    Milton, GA.
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    corey24 said:
    Rockwood......well it rocks!! Best I have used!! Long burning, hot, very neutral taste. Only negative is slightly slower to start than some others but still top tier stuff.
    Get a MAAP torch. You will light it in less than a minute.
    Milton, GA.
  • jmcnutt5
    jmcnutt5 Posts: 88
    Options
    I agree100%..Now try layering some Fogo lump around the vents ( they are big pieces,and allow good air flow)...then fill up with Rockwood. This works great for me on my low and slows.
    I use a napkin soaked in olive oil and it lights very quick with me. I had it light slow one time but i think the lump was a bit damp from condensation in the egg.