Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon and Chicken Wings

Options
Auburntgr
Auburntgr Posts: 78
edited May 2014 in EggHead Forum
I decided to step out of my comfort zone the other night with a different cook.  SWMBO and I have never been huge fish eaters but after seeing all the great cooks lately on the boards with fish I decided to go for it.  SWMBO brought home a skin on salmon steak for me to start my journey.  Being a little scared about the outcome of the salmon I hedged my bets with a quick wing cook in case the salmon was a disaster.

Since it was a last minute decision I did not take the normal steps to ensure a crispy skin.  These are a couple of chicken wings coated with a light dusting of Rendezvous commercial rub.

The setup on the egg for the wings were raised direct at a temperature between 375 and 400.  I have been setting up my wings on the lower side of the egg due to a hot spot on the top area of the grid.  As I cook I continue to rotate the wings down in order to keep the temperatures even throughout the cook.

The wings cooked for a total time of 50 minutes.  Flipping the first time at 10 minutes, and then a second time after 20 more minutes.  I sauced the wings with a quick commercial sweet and spicy sauce and flipped for the final time allowing for the final 20 minutes

The wings came out great but were just a back up option if the salmon did not turn out.

Quick change on the egg removing the raised grid and keeping the temperature the same at 375 - 400 for the salmon.  I have already soaked the cedar plank and moved forward with the marinade for the salmon.  Simple marinade I found on the boards with a few tweaks.  The marinade consisted of 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1/4 of EVOO, 1/4 cup of water, 1/4 cup of soy sauce, half a squeezed lemon, little lemon pepper, and a little minced garlic.  Marinated the salmon for 2 hours before grilling.

Decided to cook a few ears of corn with the meal.  Simple preparation of pulling back the husk and applying a little butter, salt, and pepper to the corn.  Covering with the husk again and wrapping in foil.  Corn is now on the grill while heating the cedar plank.

Placed the salmon on the egg for 25 to 30 minutes or until completed with a flaky texture and 135 internal temp.

I ran into a little trouble with the finishing time of the salmon.  The market decided it wanted to challenge me with a salmon cut that had about a 3/4 inch difference between the top and bottom piece of the fish.  The thin part had an internal temp of 135 and flaky while the tip part had a way to go being a thicker piece.  Decided to cut the salmon on the egg and start with the portion that was completed and leaving the upper thicker portion until it was finished.

The salmon came out fantastic and SWMBO has given the okay to move forward with more fish from the egg.  The salmon in the picture is on the small side as the larger portion finished cooking.  I knew I had hit a home run when SWMBO asked for the larger portion from the egg when it finished as a second portion.  Final product and thank you everybody for all the help.

The salmon was great and the chicken wings will be enjoyed as a snack at a later date.
Franklin, TN Medium and large Green Egg

Comments

• Auburntgr
    Options
    Sorry for the first posting.  Ran into a little trouble posting the pics.  Everything should be showing now.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks great! Nice plate of food! !
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Great lookng meal. Good thinking on cutting the salmon up mid cook so that you didn't way over cook the thin part. Smart thinking.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    What kind of salmon did you use? From the pics, it looks like it might be Atlantic. If you can get your hands on some wild sockeye, I definitely recommend it. I used to not enjoy fish at all, particularly all the "Omega 3 fatty acid" ones that we are supposed to eat. Wild sockeye, both regular and smoked, was my gateway fish. Now, I find I crave the clean flavor of grilled fish. Yummy!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Auburntgr
    Options
    @pnwfoodie The salmon was actually Alaskan King Salmon. Thanks for the recommendation on the wild sockeye. We will definitely be trying different kinds of fish throughout the summer.
  • Tylerd76
    Tylerd76 Posts: 43
    Options
    Great looking dish. Salmon cooked on a cedar plank always comes out tasty and it can standup to bold flavors like rub or teriyaki
    Mechanicsburg, PA
  • Auburntgr
    Options
    Tylerd76 said:
    Great looking dish. Salmon cooked on a cedar plank always comes out tasty and it can standup to bold flavors like rub or teriyaki

I believe I will try substituting the soy for teriyaki next time and removing the brown sugar because of the teriyaki. 

Looking forward to trolling the boards looking for marinades with different types of fish.