Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking 4 butts on a Large egg

Looking for some help here.  Need to do 4 8-9lb butts on a large egg at one time.  Can I accomplish this without an adjustable rig?  I don't have one and was looking for tips.  I have two Maverick meat thermometers and the most I've cooked at once is 2.  What adjustable rig does everyone reccomend if I were to buy one? 

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    You could build you own adjustedable rig your self. Buy an 18" grid for the WSM and get some long carage bolts, washers and nuts to suspended it above the other grid. Don't bolt the top grid down so you can remove it easier. Good luck.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • TDogg46
    TDogg46 Posts: 56
    WSM??  Also, what do I do about the drippings from the two butts on top?  Just let it drip onto the two below?  Also, can I do the butts fat side up if I use this setup?  Thanks
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited May 2014
    WSM = Weber Smoky Mountain. Any 18" grid from your local Lowe's, etc will do the job. Actually if I remember correctly, the large grid is 18". So you may want to go slightly smaller so it doesn't interfere with the dome closing.

Drippings won't matter from top level to bottom. Fat cap up/fat cap down won't matter either.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    Welcome....You are going to get great info from the folks on this forum.. Don't forget an ample supply of adult beverages..."Happy Friday everybody"
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    could use firebricks too, to raise the second grid.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I have seen pics where a guy put two on the grid and laid another grid right on top of them and put two more on.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    It is also recommended to rotate them half way through the cook.  i.e. move top to bottom.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL