Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turducken Question

Options
GrillMeister
GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, Mrs. GrillMeister picked up a Turducken at HEB this week. Any tips on egging this 16 lb. multi-bird meat bomb?[p]From what I've researched in the archives, 3 to 4 hours indirect at 350 ought to do it.[p]Is it breast side down? Do you use a V rack and a big pan? Are the juices worth capturing?[p]Thanks in advance.[p]Cheers,[p]GM

Cheers,

GrillMeister
Austin, Texas

Comments

• Drivr
    Drivr Posts: 163
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    I think Sundown did one a few years back and said it took 4 hours at 350 so it sounds like you have a plan.

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Happy Turducken Day GM! LOL[p]First - I never cooked one before, but...[p]follow you cooking instincts. Season your favorite way, go indirect in a v rack over a drip pan with a little of your favorite wood for flavor and cook to a reasonable internal temp (chicken in the middle right? - 140-145*) and let rest a bit before carving. [p]Toward the end poke it in a few spots at different levels to "calibrate" the meat temp.[p]I would try to collect drippings for a gravy if I were you - if it looks like it's not to your liking you can always have a "plan b" for the gravy and go to it. About half wat into the cook I might add some crisco or butter and a chopped onion to the bottom of the drip pan and let them brown (but not burn). This will help get a nice color & flavor to the gravy. As they brown you an add in white wine for additional flavor. After the meat comes off - de-glaze the pan on your cook top and make your gravy.[p]As I first said - never cooked one, but follow your instincts. Later! Joe

• GrillMeister
    Options
    Well, I loaded the egg up with Wicked Good and fired it up for an hour with the platesetter in it legs up.[p]I ended up putting in 4 ceramic egg feet and a small flat rock in the middle to support the pan. I then put a 9 inch cooling rack in the pan and made sure the legs were resting where the ceramic feet were underneath. I believe this is the Mad Max method of suspended pan and suspended bird.[p]She's roasting away at 350 and there's enough wicked good in there to last at least 8 hours, but I think 5 will do'er.[p]I'll let ya'll know how she turns out.[p]Cheers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Capt. Dan
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    I am cooking a Turducken now. Never have cooked one before but here goes. Platesetter legs up with a water pan on the platesetter. Turducken in a V-rack and v-rack in a drip pan. Egg is full of Wicked Good Lump and a light sprinkling of cherry wood chips. Current dome temp is about 360 degrees. Everything I have read says to pull it at 160 to 165 internal. This should take about 4 hours. I put the Turducken on at twelve noon and she has been cooking for about 2 hours. Happy Turducken Day, Capt. Dan