Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Two 6.5# Turkey Breasts

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will smoking 2 turkey breasts this afternoon (at the same time). If one will take 1.5 hours, how long will two take? Should I cook at a higher temp than 325 degrees? Thanks for the input!

Comments

• SmokingInMO
    Options
    Jolly,[p]325 should be just fine, just keep an eye on them and if they seem to be cooking too slow or too fast adjust the temp. I had mine set at 325 at 7:00 this morning and had to adjust to 300 after it seemed to be cooking too fast. That was with a whole turkey though so there are a few more variables. Best advice is to just set the egg and let it do the work, don't over think it.
  • beanandpotato
    Options
    Jolly,
    sounds like a math problem from ninth grade...if two trains travel at sixty miles per hour...[p]good luck!

• Ksdaddio
    Options
    Jolly,
    I have probably cooked a dozen or more turkey breasts, a pair at a time, and have yet to fail the family. I use a Polder, placing the probe in the larger of the two, take it to 170 degrees, keeping the dome temp at 300 to 325, using a plate setter, with a foil pan filled with what ever seasonings and water, and be ready to eat in about 1 to 2 hours, or as we did yesterday, pull the breasts off the BGE and put in a cooler until ready to serve, about an hour later. We do brine the breasts, which we are not sure is necessary, because we have cooked both ways with the same incredible results.[p]My wife got a little irritable with me, when she made several glowing compliments, and I didn't respond with the proper thanks, but it was rather embarrassing, because all I did was start the fire, set up the BGE, put the turkeys on and take them off. She seasoned the birds, made the dressing, prepared the yams, gravy etc, and all I did was roll out the Egg. [p]One thing that might be different is that I do not bring the Egg up to cooking temperature before the birds are put on. I make sure the fire has a good start, place the preferred smoking wood, plate setter and water pan, rack, then put the birds on. I get loads of smoke, and the temperature works its way up to 300-325, then I back it off. I have found that if you let the fire get too hot, it is difficult to get it back down. Fine for searing and the like, but smoking just doesn't work well at high temps. [p]Still basking in the glow of the Egg.