Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wicked Good Charcoal Group Buy in TENNESSEE area

Options

Hello to all of my egg friends, both veterans and new forum members. I haven't been active on this forum in a long while due to many unrelated life events, but rest assured that I have continued to cook on my eggs and have helped more than two dozen friends get their own eggs in recent years.

Well many of you veterans that live in the Tennessee, Kentucky, or Alabama areas may remember that we did several large group buys of Wicked Good Charcoal which we had trucked in from WGC up in Maine. We got a tremendous discount and everyone picked up their bags from a central location in the Nashville area.

Lots of folks have been asking to do another group buy so I am willing to coordinate that again now if we have enough interest. WGC asks that we do not post the pricing details publicly, and the discount will depend on our total order volume and freight costs, but believe me it will be well worth it. We typically get the best lump on earth for less than the mid-grade junk costs at local big box stores, so most of us order quite a bit. Due to the growth in my personal egg network and our last two group buys, we might even have enough to get a full tractor trailer load this time.

So if you are interested in participating please just drop me a PM via this forum and include your name, location, approximate # of bags, and email address. I will reply to everyone with pricing details based on our tentative quantity, and then you will have a chance to finalize your order based on the actual quoted price before we make the purchase. Pickup would be in the Nashville area again, typically within 2 weeks or less of our order being placed.

Hope to hear from some of the veterans and any new members which want to join our group. Our local group is growing rapidly but we always welcome new egg friends.

Comments

• Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Options
    thanks for trying to put this together.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    Happy to do it. We are already up to 3 pallets so far, and we still have more than 30 people in the group which should be responding later this week. Hope we get enough to break our record again!
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Options
    Don't know if this helps or not but Harpeth True Value in Franklin carries Weekend Warrior. That's where I get mine.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    wbradking said:

Don't know if this helps or not but Harpeth True Value in Franklin carries Weekend Warrior. That's where I get mine.

Thanks. I know there are a few local places which sell it, but their cost is much higher (sometimes double) and they don't stock the quantity we are talking about. We are already at 4 pallets now, and replies continue to roll in. I'm hoping we can get to 6 or 7 pallets, that's 360-420 bags! If you only cook once in a while it might be OK to get single bags but many in our group go through 15-20 bags per year so it helps that WGC offers us a nice discount.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

Very nice of you to do this.

Good to see you posting.

How is the golden egg finish currently holding up?  Contemplating a paint job for my large egg.  What product did you use, header paint?

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• WileECoyote
    Options
    Focker said:

Very nice of you to do this.

Good to see you posting.

How is the golden egg finish currently holding up?  Contemplating a paint job for my large egg.  What product did you use, header paint?

Howdy.

The golden egg finish has indeed held up quite well, much better than I ever expected. The outside of the egg has gotten pretty dirty with drippings from the top vent over the years (I cook about 3 times per week) that I have completely scrubbed the outside of the egg with abrasive brushes at least 4 times since the gold paint job. I expected the scrubbing to remove a lot of the paint, but to my surprise the paint held fast and I have never needed to repaint it. The only spots which had a little gold paint chip off were around the rim where the band is attached to the lid and base, and that was when I had to disassemble the egg twice to transport it for road trips, and even those spots are very small and minor. I used automotive engine paint from a local auto parts store... I got the best paint brand they had in a spray can in gold color, which I believe had a high max temperature range around 1000 degrees or so. I did a ton of prep to make sure the egg was completely clean and degreased, then I scuffed up the surface of the ceramic with fine grade sand paper, then I painted on very warm dry summer days and let each coat cure as recommended on the can. Then I ran the egg up to hot temperatures several times for several hours, to fully cure the paint before cooking on it. Worked like a charm.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Thanks for your time and reply.  I may try to contact you when the time comes.  Appreciate the help 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• jeroldharter
    Options
    I might be out of date and don't wish to bring up old news - but I am still working off an old supply of WGWW lump. In the meantime there were posts about problems, customer service, change of product source, etc. Is that flap resolved? I just placed an order for a bunch of that Fogo lump for the first time (backordered) but love the WGWW.
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    I don't know anything about possible recent or past problems at WGC but we've never had a single problem or complaint with their lump or our numerous group buys, and there are numerous WGC dealers in my state which are still being serviced just fine. A few friends of mine have also received pallets from WGC in the past year with no issue. On every group buy I have coordinated, I dealt with both of the WGC owners directly and found them to be top notch folks, people I would trust in my home. I just spoke with them again the other day and they are still doing fine. So if anyone has specific recent instances of significantly bad service or quality then please share those details here or PM them to me, and I will discuss those details with the WGC owners and share their response. If you don't have specifics or the feedback was from isolated third party incidents then please don't clutter this thread with rumors, speculation, or hearsay, as we don't want to create trouble or concern where none exists.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I had nothing but positive interaction with the owners. Good people!
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    There was a dust-up last summer in regards to a WG group buy or local availability issue after the split with Ace hardware. @caliking can provide details but I don't know if the thread still exists. Right now it's more of a running joke.
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    There was a dust-up last summer in regards to a WG group buy or local availability issue after the split with Ace hardware. @caliking can provide details but I don't know if the thread still exists. Right now it's more of a running joke.
    Thanks for the reference. I sent @caliking a PM and will share any valid concerns which may emerge (along with WGC response if appropriate), otherwise we will proceed as planned.
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    Yes, Ace was my local supplier but now they don't carry it. The group buy sounds like a great option but I live too far away. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    There was a quality control issue with WGWW around a year or more ago that resulted in bags of the lump being full of small pieces and lots of shake and dust.  Major disappointment compared to prior quality.  Since fixed and the last few bags I bought were "normal".  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I purchased 8-10 bags in a Texas group buy a couple years ago with Weekend Warrior. 
    There were issues with the lump. WG made "first" contact through the forum after a few people posted with quality questions.
    The WG people were outstanding...in making things right.
    Batches of lump will vary but a good company will have reasonable consistency and back a product when there are problems. I read another post yesterday I believe. Naked Whiz send 3 complaint emails to a lump company before they answered. Wicked Good made first contact and made sure things were made right. Really could not ask or expect more. Wish I was Egging back in the Wicked Good Competition Lump days...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I purchased 8-10 bags in a Texas group buy a couple years ago with Weekend Warrior. 
    There were issues with the lump. WG made "first" contact through the forum after a few people posted with quality questions.
    The WG people were outstanding...in making things right.
    Batches of lump will vary but a good company will have reasonable consistency and back a product when there are problems. I read another post yesterday I believe. Naked Whiz send 3 complaint emails to a lump company before they answered. Wicked Good made first contact and made sure things were made right. Really could not ask or expect more. Wish I was Egging back in the Wicked Good Competition Lump days...
    Yep, it took 3 emails to get Cowboy to respond.  And after I sent them the plywood (after having photographed it first) they ignored me again when I contacted them.
    The Naked Whiz
  • WileECoyote
    edited May 2014
    Options

Ok, quick update: we have spoken to several folks that have used WGC purchased within the last year. All were pleased with the quality and service, same as on our previous group orders from a few years ago. I am also purchasing a few sample bags from WGC to test it myself within the next week to make sure it will be the usual high quality lump that we all love.

Our group order is growing quick and almost at 6 pallets now, with about 20 more folks due to respond within the next 2 days. So if you want in on this group buy then please PM me now with your info. It will likely be a few years before we do this again in the Nashville area so get in while you can.