Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised direct?

Options
I see people talking about raised (i.e. gasket level) direct?   How?  Do I need a special grid with legs?

Thanks!
Toronto, ON

Comments

• CheeseheadInMN
    Options
    I use 3 firebricks and set the grid on them
    Lakeville, MN - LBGE (August 2013)

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    You can build your own, AR, fire bricks, etc. Mine was built with all SS for around $45 or so bucks. You can go raised indirect, raised direct, gives you multiple cooking levels, puts you up in the dome which is great for pizza and love it for Spatchcock. Now that I have it I can't imagine not having it as I use it that much. image
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • EGGerAllanPoe
    Options
    Here's what I use.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-woo-big-green-egg.html

Great company and fast shipping. Works wonderful. Makes some cooks easier. Helps with direct or indirect cooks.

Worth the money if you don't wanna use fire bricks and raise it.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

RTR
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    Favorite way to do chicken... whole or parts.
  • Conneggticut_Yankee
    Options
    Three regular bricks will do. One buck a piece and throw the grid right on it. Some use beer/soda cans but I could never get them to stay on the firering. 

Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• martinhd28
    Options
    Here's what I use. http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-woo-big-green-egg.html Great company and fast shipping. Works wonderful. Makes some cooks easier. Helps with direct or indirect cooks. Worth the money if you don't wanna use fire bricks and raise it.
    Nice - anyone know where I can buy one in Canada?   These guys want $43 shipping which is the same price as the unit itself!  

For now I'll go with the bricks! Cheers. 
    Toronto, ON
  • Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    Options
    3 4.5" stainless bolts a few washers & nuts will do the same thing

LBGE

BTFU!

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Hey Martin, it's not us wanting $43, it's all the hands in the pot to get it over the imaginary border.  A good number of northern friends ship to US side and come over.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • whta
    whta Posts: 62
    Options
    Built my own from directions on this site - THANKS GUYS!.

Home depot (Weber grate), 3 SS carriage screws (I think mine are 4 or 5 inches. . .Maybe even 6?), 9 SS washers, and 9 bolts.  I believe mine came in under $30

Been great so far with spatchcock and wings!

If you want pictures, just let me know
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Man the rig will get the grid 2" (5cm) above the felt line. Even higher with the D shaped rig on top. I have two of them and I wouldn't trade them for the world. With the shipping, exchange and HST it is pricey but you have universal health care. B-)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    Here's what I use. http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-woo-big-green-egg.html Great company and fast shipping. Works wonderful. Makes some cooks easier. Helps with direct or indirect cooks. Worth the money if you don't wanna use fire bricks and raise it.

I bought one of these and it has been in my egg since I got it. This thing freakin rocks. 

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I don't see what the fuss is about with raised direct. I've done chicken both ways and see no difference. Enlighten me oh great eggheads.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • EGGerAllanPoe
    Options

I don't see what the fuss is about with raised direct. I've done chicken both ways and see no difference. Enlighten me oh great eggheads.

I think it's an easier cook raised direct. Less likely to burn your meat when you walk away for a minute.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

RTR
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    It does get wings more crispy with a raised grid. Whole chickens are cooked skinless here.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Why not self-enlighten?  Buy APL's "Charred and Scruffed".  Pay close attention to the High and Slow Chapter, and the "tempering" section about momentum. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• cortguitarman
    Options
    @Focker‌ I have no idea what that means.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Self-enlighten = read.

Adam Perry Lang discusses the High(elevation) Slow(lower temperature) cooking in his book.  Tempering is a term he uses to describe the advantage of cooking High and Slow, having more control of the cook/energy.  And how frequent turning creates a better flavor. 

Check it out, it's a great book. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• cortguitarman
    Options
    @focker I got the read part. The irony here is that I teach elementary school reading as well as all other subjects. You lost me at tempering momentum. Would love free time to read for pleasure but kids and correcting papers keeps me from doing so.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Focker said:
    Self-enlighten = read.

Adam Perry Lang discusses the High(elevation) Slow(lower temperature) cooking in his book.  Tempering is a term he uses to describe the advantage of cooking High and Slow, having more control of the cook/energy.  And how frequent turning creates a better flavor. 

Check it out, it's a great book. 

I agree.  That's a great book
    NOLA