Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any BBQ Guru DigiQ users out there?

Options
Howdy fellow Eggers! I have a BBQ Guru DigiQ. I've had it for about 9 months now. I used it today on my Lg Egg for a Butt. After 2 hrs of cooking @225 degrees, my guru started acting up. It would display a pit temp anywhere from 225 to 400 degrees. Then it would display a couple of dash lines. I had a spare brand new temp probe, so I changed it out. Same thing continued.

Because the fan is controlled based on the temp displayed, It runs or stops running incorrectly.

Any thoughts would truly be appreciated. I would've thought the DigiQ control box would last much longer. Hoping I don't have to buy another one. But when it was working, it was GREAT to use for long cooks!

Please help! :)

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Sold mine and not missed it at all.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Mickey‌ are you just flying by the seat of your pants on low & slow (overnights)? Or did you get a different pit controller? I don't have one but, am considering it heavily for the overnight smokes.
    @smokeysteve‌ it sounds like you have a pit thermistor beginning to fail.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    I have been using the Guru for a few years now for low n slow overnights, never had the issue you speak of, but I am thankful for having the Guru nanny some of my babies overnight on the Egg while I catch some zzzz's
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• smokeysteve
    Options
    I really find the Guru to be awesome for overnights!  Literally set it and forget it.  That's why I'm bummed that it's malfunctioning.  Guess I'll call BBQ Guru customer service.  It's out of warranty, but if I have to, I'll definitely buy another one.  
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Don't own a controller cause no overnight cooks since figuring out turbo, but could it be the probe is acting up?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Why don't you just call tech support at GURU?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • dagriller
    dagriller Posts: 74
    Options
    I had a similar issue but they told me the probe had been exposed to heat, which melted the casing. They are fragile. I ended up buying a heat shield to protect the probe wire.
    LBGE Johns Creek, GA
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Howdy fellow Eggers! I have a BBQ Guru DigiQ. I've had it for about 9 months now. I used it today on my Lg Egg for a Butt. After 2 hrs of cooking @225 degrees, my guru started acting up. It would display a pit temp anywhere from 225 to 400 degrees. Then it would display a couple of dash lines. I had a spare brand new temp probe, so I changed it out. Same thing continued. Because the fan is controlled based on the temp displayed, It runs or stops running incorrectly. Any thoughts would truly be appreciated. I would've thought the DigiQ control box would last much longer. Hoping I don't have to buy another one. But when it was working, it was GREAT to use for long cooks! Please help! :)
    Seeing as how your problem remained after changing to a brand new probe, I would guess maybe the jack where your probe plugs in has an intermittent connection.  Maybe from dirt or grease inside the jack or maybe a loose wire inside the unit.  I just checked my unit and I see there is a screw  holding the back plate on so I'm guessing it is pretty easy to open.  I don't know your comfort level on repairing electronics, but I know if it was mine and out of warranty, I would take a look inside to see if I could fix it myself.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

@Mickey‌ are you just flying by the seat of your pants on low & slow (overnights)? Or did you get a different pit controller? I don't have one but, am considering it heavily for the overnight smokes.
    @smokeysteve‌ it sounds like you have a pit thermistor beginning to fail.

@NPHuskerFL‌ I'm pretty sure you don't need a temp controller for 400* raised direct or 350* indirect. :))
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    @Mickey‌ are you just flying by the seat of your pants on low & slow (overnights)? Or did you get a different pit controller? I don't have one but, am considering it heavily for the overnight smokes. @smokeysteve‌ it sounds like you have a pit thermistor beginning to fail.
    The BBQ Guru uses a thermocouple in the probe, not a thermistor.  There is a thermistor in the base unit, of course, but that should be failing due to usage.
    The Naked Whiz
  • smokeysteve
    Options
    Thank you all! This forum is awesome!
  • rosros
    rosros Posts: 408
    Options
    My started acting up pretty much like yours. It turns out moisture corrosion to the input jacks. They rebuilt my unit...but I understand they no longer recondition these as they are no longer available. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    DMW said:
    @Mickey‌ are you just flying by the seat of your pants on low & slow (overnights)? Or did you get a different pit controller? I don't have one but, am considering it heavily for the overnight smokes. @smokeysteve‌ it sounds like you have a pit thermistor beginning to fail.
    @NPHuskerFL‌ I'm pretty sure you don't need a temp controller for 400* raised direct or 350* indirect. :))

So true!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

After I sold my Digi Q bought a Party Q and gave it away to Travis. This started me on Turbo Everything. Now no more overnight anything. This works for me. I have no wires in anything now to cook.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2014
    Options
    =)) @Mickey‌... Didn't know you were a turbo man (ya not much of need using a pit controller on cooks above 350℉ or so).
    @nakedwhiz‌ ...yes, I know the probe is a thermocouple. I didn't mean the probe. Meant the the connection points to the base unit "thermistor" (pit connection point) inside unit won't read properly with corrosion or excessive moisture. This similar issue occurs on multimeters that get corrosion/moisture intrusion.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    @nakedwhiz‌ ...yes, I know the probe is a thermocouple. I didn't mean the probe. Meant the the connection points to the base unit "thermistor" (pit connection point) inside unit won't read properly with corrosion or excessive moisture. This similar issue occurs on multimeters that get corrosion/moisture intrusion.
    Gotcha. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • JeffCowley
    Options
    dagriller said:
    I had a similar issue but they told me the probe had been exposed to heat, which melted the casing. They are fragile. I ended up buying a heat shield to protect the probe wire.
    I experienced the same problem.  Their customer service really is great though.  I communicated with them via email; sent the unit back to them for testing; and they sent a fresh pair of probes back for free.  

I'm about 50/50 with my DigiQ.  Even when I'm using it, I spend half the time comparing it to what the BGE is telling me, and my own intuition.  
    Eggin', craft beer and good cigars.  Tampa, Florida