Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ceramic obstructions in holes in my fire box

Options
Hello all,
I got a second large egg last summer and noticed the breather holes in the fire box had some slight obstructions from ceramic which was either left when cast or not cleanly drilled.  (I'm not sure how they are made).  It appears that the ceramic has a slight residual lip on the back side of the hole.  As though it wasn't cleanly drilled through.

My old egg which I've had 10-15 years has clean, unobstructed holes through the fire box ceramic.

I didn't worry too much about this at the time as it seemed to cook and hold temp fine.  But, over the past several months of cooking I realize the slightly reduced opening on the back side of the hole collects ash and particles worse affecting the fire box's breathing.  It's kind of a pita trying to get these cleared after a cook.

So here's my questions:  I'm considering drilling the holes out to remove the slight "overhang" on the back side.  I've never tried to drill ceramic before so I'm a bit cautious.  Any tips?  Is this a high-speed or low-speed drill process? (I assume high-speed).  Should it be a wet/water drill like cutting ceramic or concrete? 

I know better than trying to chip it out by hand but I can't think of anything other than drilling.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks so much.
Matt in Nashville.
Nashville TN 2 LBGE's and counting

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I'd contact the dealer and get a replacement.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    #1 on dealer...
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • mdozier
    mdozier Posts: 90
    Options
    Unfortunately I've been cooking on it for several months and I expect that ship has sailed.  I'm afraid the first question would be why I didn't bring it back right away.

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    I had a bit of residual ceramic in a few holes. Maybe 1or 2 millimeters thick. I just pushed a tapered pry bar thru from the outside toward the inside. No wiggling. The ceramic turned to dust.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • mdozier
    Options
    That's exactly how I would describe this, it's just enough of a reduction to catch ash and chips.

You basically reamed it by hand with no trouble?  

Thanks.
    m

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    mdozier said:

Unfortunately I've been cooking on it for several months and I expect that ship has sailed.  I'm afraid the first question would be why I didn't bring it back right away.

Nope. Should have NO ISSUE getting distributor to warranty this out. I would consider this a factory defect not caused by physical abuse etc.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Honestly I wouldn't even bother. I know a guy who purposefully plugged all those holes and he claims he has better control of his fire since all the incoming air is only through the bottom vent and nothing sneaking in through those holes! I believe him since when my ash builds up and starts blocking the holes I too believe it works better!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mdozier
    Options
    You know, that's an excellent point.  I was afraid it might be affecting the speed it takes to get to temp as it seems to take a bit longer than my old egg but it's sometimes hard to tell. There are so many things that can impact the time it takes to heat up.

Thanks,
    m

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    RRP said:

Honestly I wouldn't even bother. I know a guy who purposefully plugged all those holes and he claims he has better control of his fire since all the incoming air is only through the bottom vent and nothing sneaking in through those holes! I believe him since when my ash builds up and starts blocking the holes I too believe it works better!

Have you found this on low and slow or high temp Ron? I would think reducing airflow would be a hindrance. No?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • RRP
    Options
    imageOne time I carefully removed my firebox so I could see how the ash build up occurred by the time it blocked the holes and here is what I saw. All that happens is there is no diversion of the incoming air from the vent - it all has to feed the fire from there and I believe it creates more of a rush or blast furnace effect to stoke the fire.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @rrp...hmmm interesting. And here I pull (gut) ceramics etc every other cook or so and shop vac out completely. Guess that's overkill. Thanks for sharing. ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I shop vac when the firebox gets about half full with ash (5 or 6 cooks) or before a planned long cook.  I don't pull the ceramics, though - I just vacuum from the top and as much as i can get from the vent.

It seems to work, but I will pull my ceramics at some point.  I do notice that my vent settings gradually change as the airflow gets restricted by ash.
    NOLA
  • RRP
    Options
    I only do that kind of extensive cleaning say once a year, however I have always scraped out the fallen ash before every cook. It's a routine I have just like I always top off my lump to the same level before every use regardless of what I'm going to cook. Seems like those two simple steps give me fairly uniform starting times and temperature expectations. At least it works for me.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    buzd504 said:

I shop vac when the firebox gets about half full with ash (5 or 6 cooks) or before a planned long cook.  I don't pull the ceramics, though - I just vacuum from the top and as much as i can get from the vent.

It seems to work, but I will pull my ceramics at some point.  I do notice that my vent settings gradually change as the airflow gets restricted by ash.

I do it like every 2-4 cooks (especially after a long low and slow). I'm OCD in this regard. Lol
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    People sure can overthink this grilling thing. Ya know? :)

Call the dealer. After he's done rolling his eyes, he should get you a new one. If that fails (or you just don't want to bother), get a drill bit and drill it out. Speed won't matter. If you have a round file, that should work too. If it were me (for that matter, maybe it IS... never noticed), I wouldn't bother.

As for removing parts and vacuuming out the egg, I think I did that once, maybe twice. In almost five years.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mdozier
    Options

RRP said:
    I only do that kind of extensive cleaning say once a year, however I have always scraped out the fallen ash before every cook. It's a routine I have just like I always top off my lump to the same level before every use regardless of what I'm going to cook. Seems like those two simple steps give me fairly uniform starting times and temperature expectations. At least it works for me.

Same here.  I do work the cold ash and left over coal around with my hands to shake out the smaller bits, then I scrape out below the grate and try to clear the fire box holes (thus the start of this thread). Then I top-off the lump and good to go.  I've had great luck with this in the past.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I stir the old lump before every cook. I use a plastic garden trowel that would otherwise never be used for anything. Then I dump more lump in if needed. I use a wiggle rod to open up any grate obstructions and clean out the old ash every 3-4 cooks.

I don't remember the last time I even checked to see if the holes in the firebox were clogged. I used to. Now I don't.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    @mdozier I definitely would NOT attempt to drill out the hole. Those holes are cast in the ceramic not drilled. If you attempt to drill it and the bit grabs you could send that firebox into a hundred pieces. Like others said I wouldn't worry about it. After you cook on it long enough you won't even notice it.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209
    Options
    If you got to do it grind don't drill.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    I had a similar problem and i used the end of a socket wrench. I carefully pushed the wrench through the hole and slowly turned the wrench. The grooves in the wrench served as a form of sand paper to grind the excess ceramic down. There were quite of few of the holes that needed sanding so I went around the firebox until they all had a smooth surface and the obstructions were no longer tpresent. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Like the others have said, if you need to drill I wouldn't attempt. I would see dealer for replacement, Mine was minor. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • mdozier
    Options
    Thanks everyone.  

Ok, definitely not drilling anything.  
    Probably just going to ignore them.  If anything I may gently wet-sand or try the gentle grind/ream method with a wrench handle or smooth punch.

The speed-to-temp issue between my original egg and this newer one could be operator error or misconception (i.e. all in my head).

Thanks again,
    matt