Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A new to me cast iron skillet!!!

I was looking around a some new Lodge CI skillets and told my Mom I was looking to get one.  She said "well you can just have my other one I don't use".  Naturally, I said, "Awesome".  I knew she had two or three but never thought to ask if she would let me have one.  So last night for Easter dinner, she brought it over to me and gave me a history lesson.  The bottom is very hard to make out from the years of gunk so I do not know what kind it is.  Anyways, my Mom told me she inherited the skillet in 1967 from her Aunt.  Her Aunt gave my mother a stove that they had and the skillet was left in the stove by mistake.  She told my Mom to just keep the skillet too.  What I find interesting is to know how old this skillet is and what it has cooked in its years.  I am looking forward to cooking on it soon.  Thinking about doing a steak or chops in it.  Its a 10 inch skillet that should pair nicely with the Egg and stove. 
------------------------------
Thomasville, NC
My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
Instagram
Facebook
My Photography Site

Comments

• That's a great story.

If you didn't mind re-seasoning it you could do a clean burn in your egg with the skillet inside. A fews hours at 700* and that skillet should come out as "clean" as the day it was made; might then be able to make out the name of the manufacturer.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Seared steak, fish etc in c.i. is perfect combination. Not to mention a well seasoned skillet that's got some family history behind it. Very cool! You'll get great enjoyment using this.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Thanks @TexanOfTheNorth and @NPHuskerFL

Didn't think about a clean burn in the Egg.  Thought about doing a clean cycle in the oven, but I cannot decide if I do or not.  My Mom has not used this skillet in a long time and the inside of pan was glossy still with no rust.  I would like to know the make and possibly the era. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Yes, the oven clean cycle would work too. I know it's a hard call to make... preserving the "history" of the skillet versus knowing the manufacturer.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    if its still glossy black after all those years, i would just cook with it and buy a second lodge for searing the steaks. that way you have one good nonstick pan and one pan for searing
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Post pics of the bottom and the handle. There are a few sits that go over identifiers and @travisstrick posted a very good video on this subject last week.
  • tarheelmatt
    @fishlessman great advice!  My first fathers day is approaching and I smell a nice new CI pan!

@Eggcelsior I will snap a few pictures of it tonight when I get home. 

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Congrats on the piece of family history!

A clean burn or self-clean cycle may well warp or even crack the cast iron.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Awesome history! That is a keeper piece for sure. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2014
    @tarheelmatt‌..I have 2 Pans that date back to the 1950s. Both are well seasoned and I use on the egg on a regular basis. I have got them upwards of 600℉-700℉ and have had no issues. I let them cool naturally, hit with plain water and a nylon brush to clean and lightly coat with oil before putting it away. Enjoy your pan you should be fine using it on the BGE IMHO. +1 on what @Carolina Q‌ said wouldn't run a "clean" burn (I define a "clean" burn as wide open 1000+℉) with the pan in there (really no need for it anyways).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • tarheelmatt
    @NPHuskerFL thanks.  I do not think I will do a clean burn.  I will try and inspect it more clearly tonight and I could possibly make something out of its origin.  If not, oh well... I am itching to get something on it though it may be a couple days before I get the time. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • NPHuskerFL
    @tarheelmatt‌...like I said enjoy it. Pick up some nice steak fillets for you and your SWMBO and you'll wonder why you waited. :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • I personally would not do a clean burn with a cast iron skillet, especially one that has been in the family for a long time.  Too much risk of cracking it, and it is overkill for reseasoning.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Please do not do anything to burn that seasoning on that pan, it took many years to get it that way,which is great. Wash it with water to remove the dust, then put in the oven at 350 for 1 hr. then wash it again with no soap it will be the best non-stick pan you have ever cooked on.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Post a few pictures. Sometimes the handles give away the manufacturer. Since you know the history of the skillet, I'd just keep the pans seasoned as is. When I get vintage skillets second hand I usually strip and reseason so I know whose crud is on there. You could do a self clean cylcle, but your house will STINK. If you're wanting to strip I suggest 45 minutes in the egg at 700+ or doing the easyoff method where you spray the skillet down with easyoff oven cleaner and seal it up in a trash bag for a week. Then get some 0000 steel wool and have at it. Or a few sears of steaks on the egg will most likely burn off the seasoning on the bottom on the pan eventually. Enjoy it!
    Dunedin, FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    @yzzi‌... It's family seasoned crud so I'd say he's safe to roll with it as it sits. ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • yzzi
    @yzzi‌... It's family seasoned crud so I'd say he's safe to roll with it as it sits. ;-)
    But that's what I said in my 3rd sentence!  #:-S
    Dunedin, FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    @yzzi...oops 8-} my bad. Lol
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,838
    It takes a long time to to make a skillet shiny glossy black on the inside. Why would you want to get Rid of that ?
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • uheep
    uheep Posts: 64
    I clean my cast iron skillets with this, a little oil, and some warm water. That's all! Please don't ruin your smooth surface people would love to have a pan like that..image
    North Georgia ~ Large BGE~Charbroil Outdoor Fryer~Big Chief Smoker~All Done
    With A Touch Of Classic Rock
  • Same here.

When it is still hot, I rinse with hot water, a scrubber sponge (or copper scrubber if there are stuck bits), and then wipe dry with a paper towel, leaving plenty of fat behind. That's it.

Don't let it cool before you clean it.  It will virtually wipe clean while hot.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seneca Falls, NY

• Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Please,please please do not remove all that wonderful seasoning, it took years to get it that way.
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    @uheep‌ where did you pick that up at and for how much?
  • yzzi
    Do you use a mace to tenderize meats? That think it straight up chain male. I like it.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2014

@fletcherfam,

It's called The Ringer, can be found on amazon. 

http://www.amazon.com/The-Ringer-Stainless-Chainmail-GURANTEED/dp/B00FKBR1ZG/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1398133481&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=cast+iron+pan+steel+scrubber

@tarheelmatt,

All the CI I buy gets stripped regardless of condition, including our personal family heirloom skillets.  Even the new Lodge pieces I have purchased, like the Sportsman Hibachi and 5qt Double Dutch, get stripped and recoated with Grapeseed.

If you decide to restore, please do not use the "aw hell just throw it in the fire" method.   

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    If you are interested in knowing what you have, there was a thread here a couple of weeks ago with a youtube video on identifying old cast iron skillets.  I cannot find the thread, but here is a link to the video.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hmDBvgTWFE  

Not real exciting, but a lot of good info here if you can sit through it - i did, and am ready to go scrounging.  There are also lots of good videos on restoring old CI.  Have fun!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • tarheelmatt
    Thanks everyone for the help and input.  I had intentions of doing a photo shoot with my new CI pan, but my 5 week old baby girl had other intentions....  :) I will try to get to it tonight. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138

Like the others have said please don't clean with high heat you could be very sorry!!! If you really want to know if the outside bottom is marked with the maker like Wagner or Griswold just spray outside bottom with oven cleaner and let it sit for a few days (not in plastic bag ) and wipe it off then rinse in hot water upside down to keep it out of the inside of the pan. You might have to do this several times but you can get it all off the bottom. I have done this many many times back when I bought and sold old CI pans as I did not want to spend the time to clean what I call a no name pan because I could not sell them for much of a profit. If it turned out to be a Griswold it got completely cleaned with oven cleaner or Drano crystals dissolved in water and soaked for days.  The active ingredient in oven cleaner/Drano is lie! Never use oven cleaner on a porcelain coated pans it will make the porcelain dull and not shiny but will clean all baked on black crud of, I ruined a very nice porcelain Griswold pan this way.  

That wonderful seasoning that is in your pan will be hard to get back, not imposable though.

Good luck with what ever you chose to do. G M

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

500 Posts: 3,180
    So my cast iron question is this;  How do I sear a steak without loosing the precious years of seasoning?  The high heat will kill the seasoning, correct?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • It won't.

You don't need your cast iron at 700 to sear, for one thing.  You want something you can control and manage, not to go from raw to cinder in 60 seconds.

You remember how there is advice to lightly coat a steak in oil for searing? This is not for a grill, because the oil would be a hinderance.  But it is good advice for searing in a pan. This will transfer the heat better, as well as provide a little non-stick insurance.

If you kept the cast iron in the egg for an extended period of time at high heat, it would burn off the seasoning.

Seneca Falls, NY