Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Naked ham smoke suggestions

Options
pretzelb
pretzelb Posts: 158
I've been reading the various threads on naked ham like this one http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1158915/naked-ham-a-new-way-for-me so I am going to try it today. I have cherry but sugar maple is not available. Can anyone suggest a substitute or maybe just stick with cherry? I have pecan, apple, peach, and oak. The ham is about 11 lbs and is a Hormel that the wife picked up on sale. It's spiral cut and says it's naturally hard wood smoked. My plan was dome of 300, indirect, until I hit 130. Planning about 2-3 hours. 
XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Any of the fruit woods would be good. I haven't used oak on a ham so that is an unknown for me. I would prolly go the cherry/apple combo

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • pretzelb
    Options
    Any of the fruit woods would be good. I haven't used oak on a ham so that is an unknown for me. I would prolly go the cherry/apple combo
    I was thinking either that or peach and cherry. Thanks.
  • lemonade
    lemonade Posts: 93
    Options
    I'll be doing a 7lbs wood smoked Hormel ham bought on sale.  I'll be trying it with the Jack Daniels wood chips.  This will be my first ham.  I can't decide if I'll put anything on it at all, or if I need to score it.  
    Is it done yet? Is it done yet?
  • pretzelb
    Options
    Went with cherry and peach. Nearly had an epic failure when the probe only showed 82 after 2 hours. The spiral cut makes it hard to get a good reading. But it was very good and not dry. The outer pieces were smokey and the inner pieces were sweet. I just need to figure out the probe.