Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - wifi garage door or sprinkler system controllers?

Options
2»

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I would probably never have the wifi deal on my garage door, but it would be nice. I have the Onstar app on my phone so I can lock and unlock my car etc from anywhere. 

I guess that is vulnerable to a bad guy as well. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    It could be but it's monitored by an external source. It's the private set-ups that can be most vulnerable. A few years ago, some dude carjacked a mother in her Mercedes SUV here in Maryland. She called their version of on star and they monitored the vehicle over 2 hours during the chase, keeping the police up to date since her toddler daughter was in the back seat.

That's the neat thing about those services. The downside is the cost.
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Options
    My wife was always concerned that she didn't close the garage door when she left the house so I built a solution.  I got a RaspberryPi, a breadboard and hooked a magnetic switch up to the the shuttle part of the garage door.  That way the Pi can test if the door is up or down.  Also, I hooked it into the posts on the garage door head which can send a signal just like I was pushing the button on the garage door opener remote.  A little Python script with an embedded web server runs the whole thing.  Now I can use my smartphone to check to see if the door is up or down and optionally open or close it accordingly.  Works great.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @CosmicVoyager and @wbradking - those are both nifty and seem like they would work for me, except that I lack the skills needed to put either of those together :) I can solder a wire or two in place, but that's about it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Letz4wheel
    Letz4wheel Posts: 236
    Options
    I do have the garage door deal. Chamberlain I believe. It works great and as advertised. My only hope is that if someone does use it to break in that they clean up the place :)
    Southern Indiana
  • drewaars
    drewaars Posts: 63
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I've been interested in the Wi-Fi sprinkler controller ever since I got my Nest thermostat.  The nest is so easy to program and my present sprinkler controller doesn't shut off when its already raining like its supposed too.  I've more than paid for the Nest with the energy savings but I can't imagine getting the same savings from the sprinkler controller.  Maybe i'm under estimating how many gallons/dollars i'm using to water my yard though.
    LBGE in Arlington, TX

Thanks and Gig'em
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @Fosk and @Letz4wheel : I saw the Chamberlain MyQ on Amazon, but some of the reviews sound iffy - seems it occasionally can't tell whether the door is opened or closed. Have you had good experience with it? I may try it out on one garage door.

@drewaars - the RainMachine sounds promising. Will supposedly adapt watering conditions to daily weather data from NOAA. I would like to see it be about $50 cheaper though. In terms of water savings, I pay twice for water in a way since I pay a sewer charge for the water I use. So any water savings save on the sewer charge as well. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Fosk
    Fosk Posts: 19
    Options
    @caliking:  I do not have it.  I was looking for that type of solution awhile back and came across the MyQ.  However, like you, I noticed a lot of bad reviews and decided to wait until a more viable option comes out. 
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    I live like a caveman and do it old school. I buy the egg using charcoal instead of gas or electricity or pellet driven by electricity. 

No WIFI for me.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts