Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Fire Ring

Options
Enders
Enders Posts: 29
I recently made Tandori Chicken on my XL.  I fired it up to the hottest I have ever cooked on it, ~ 700+.  When I was preparing for the next cook I noticed the firering had a crack and my patesetter has a hairline crack.  I have to say, I was a bit dissappointed.  At least both are under warranty, and I already got the firering replaced.  2 questions.  I assume my BGE should be able to handle 700 and beyond, just an anomoly?  Does anyone want an XL fire ring with one crack, it seems a waste to pitch it? 

XL BGE, Medium Project Egg

Indianapolis

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I would use the broken ring until you can no longer use it, and then use the new one.
  • Enders
    Options
    BYS1981, I thought about doing that, but I don't want to store the spare, and I have full warranty so if it cracks again, I'll go fo another replacement.

Indianapolis

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options

I'd say it is an anomaly but it can and does happen and in times like this be glad you have the warranty.  If I were in your shoes, I'd replace the fire ring and donate the old one to someone local to you (you don't want to ship it).  Might help to add your city/state to your profile or state where you're at to help folks determine if they can pick it up. 

The plate setter (or what BGE is now calling a "convEggtor" on their warranty page at http://www.biggreenegg.com/support/warranty/) only has a 3 year warranty so I would get the replacement and store it until you're no longer comfortable using the old one.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Enders
    Options

R2Egg2Q-

Good advice, I've added my location in case anyone is interested in the fire ring.  I was aware of the 3 yr on the plate setter, mine is about 18 months old.  I'll do that this weekend!

OP

Indianapolis

• BigGreenCraigdotcom
    Options
    My firebowl and charcoal grate has been cracked for years. I've never done a thing to replace them. It seems to still function properly. 
  • Enders
    Options
    I already replaced it and have the box the replacement came in. I have it boxed up. Let me know about shipping.

Indianapolis

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I've cracked 2 fire rings, a fire box, and a base. It happens. I'm still cooking only 2nd cracked fire ring. Haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. My egg is brand new except for dome, charcoal grates, and bands.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Enders
    Options
    I understand now why the BGE costs what it does.  The warranty is definitely a good part of what you're paying for.  I'm always amazed what people ask for eggs on Craigs List.  It's really not worth it unless you're getting a GREAT deal. 

Indianapolis