Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-Tip Cook Times/Methods

Options
IlliniEgger
IlliniEgger Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After searching the BGE archives I am more confused than ever! I want to do a couple of tri-tips to go with Thanksgiving dinner and the recomendations are all over the place. Some say cook quick-45 minutes to an hour. Others say 250 degrees for 4 to 5 hours. Had one that said 250 degrees for 45 minutes. Anybody?[p]I am throwing one on today as a "practice run" and I need help. I cooked ne in the past quickly (about an hour) and it was not very good. [p]Come on fellow BGE chefs...........help![p]Thanks,
IlliniEgger

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    tritip2.jpg
    <p />IlliniEgger,
    I prefer the 350 indirect method. Coat with EVOO and Cowlick, maybe a little garlic. Don't over cook. Pull at 125-135, wait till 140-145 and slice thin against the grain.
    How big is it?[p]Mike

• IlliniEgger
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    It is about 3.5 pounds. I had them leave the fat cap on. I have Dizzy Pig Cow Lick, but what is EVOO? My family leans towards medium beef. Cook to internal temp of 150 degrees? What kind of wood chunks?[p]Thanks for the help,
    IlliniEgger

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    IlliniEgger,
    I would think about cutting that in half. Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I think 150 will make it tough. The internal temp will rise 10 degrees after pulling off the egg. I like apple or cherry.[p]Let me know how it turns out.[p]Mike

• IlliniEgger
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    At 350 degrees indirect, approximately how long is it going to take?[p]Thanks,
    IlliniEgger

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    IlliniEgger,
    If you cut them in half. Some where close to around 35-40 minutes. Don't turn your back on them. Keep that temp. in mind.[p]Mike

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    IlliniEgger,
    One more thing. Make sure your dome temp is 350 after you put the placesetter in.[p]Mike

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    9b42260f.jpg
    <p />IlliniEgger,[p]I like tri-tip either way, the hot quicker cook or the lo-n-slo. The 350 degree cook works well when I'm making sandwiches, and I like the 250 degree cook if it is for a main course. [p]893b6077.jpg[p]As long as you don't overcook & remember to slice against the grain, you can't go wrong.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • SmokingInMO
    Options
    TriTip.jpg
    <p />Car Wash Mike,[p]I use the same method as Mike does and it turns out perfect everytime.
  • Supereri
    Options
    IlliniEgger,[p]My Uncle recently gave me his recipe and this is far and away my favorite marinade. IMHO, it's amazing and a must try:
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    3 Tablespoons honey
    2 Tablespoons mustard
    1 teespoon minced garlic
    1 Tablespoon EVO
    Small amount to taste (we usually use about 1 teespoon) Lowery's[p]We marinade at least 4 hours and prefferably overnight.
    I have cooked them direct and indirect and both ways have there benefits. If you cook indirect you taste the marinade more. Direct gets you some GREAT crust.

• Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    I've done a couple now trying to emulate the California Santa Maria BBQ. Interestingly, that method is halfway in between the direct and indirect methods everyone else has mentioned. The cook is a sear at 500-600 for 2 minutes a side, then insert the platesetter and some smoking wood, lower to 300, stabilize, and cook to 125-135 internal. That gets you the crust, smoke, and a perfect tri-tip.[p]Bob V