Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatched Chicken with Spicy Whole Roasted Cauliflower

Options
Mattman3969
Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
edited April 2014 in EggHead Forum
Awesome eggin weather so I went to the grocery without really knowing what I wanted to egg for supper. Came home with a 4lb chicken and a head of cauliflower. The chicken was a no brainer, we are gonna use @mickeys coffee rub on the skin and Loveless Cafe Peach Rub under the skin. Now to the cauliflower, generally I will roast with,balsamic glaze, EVOO and sea salt but wanted something different this time. I found this recipe and tried it out. This recipe called for lime juice,chili powder,curry powder,cumin, salt & pepper http://www.purewow.com/entry_detail/national/8821/Forget-florets--roast-the-whole-damn-cauliflower.htm?utm_source=outbrain Eggs gettin ready to go to work image Chicken & Cauliflower gettin happy imageimage Cauliflower cooking 400 indirect on the small image Chicken 425 indirect just because image And plated. The cauliflower had some good heat and was most excellent but will cook for at least an hour next time. Recipe called for 30-40mins. The chicken was awesome as expected image And for dessert we made peaches with drizzled honey and DP Pineapple Head image With ice cream. Yummo First taste of pineapple head and really liked it image

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Looks awesome. I'm always lookin for good cauliflower recipe. Will try this for sure. Thank you
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Very nice. How'd the cauliflower turn out?
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    I really liked but my wife said it was a bit warm for her taste. It should have cooked longer because it was just a bit to aldente for me

analyze adapt overcome

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice bird, but that cauliflower sounds really good! just so happens that i have one siting in my fridge waiting for something eggciting to happen to it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Letz4wheel
    Letz4wheel Posts: 236
    Options
    That looks mighty fine!
    Southern Indiana
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Love the cauliflower idea! Did you use any smoke wood for it? 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Conneggticut_Yankee
    Options
    Great looking cook! I got everything for that cauliflower so I think that's gonna happen tonight. Maybe I'll pick up a bird too and totally steal your idea.  :-bd
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• Mattman3969
    Options
    @carolina q - no smoke just lump, I was unsure how the sauce would take the smoke and didn't want it over the top. I think a small bit of fruitwood would be ok.

analyze adapt overcome

• Mattman3969
    Options
    I'm in Henderson,Ky. The peaches came from Walmart and the grass is just coming out of its winters nap. With all the rain we are getting it should look like a carpet in a week or so.

analyze adapt overcome

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Mattman, thanks! Going to have to give this a try.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnMc
    JohnMc Posts: 76
    Options
    Where are you that you can find fresh peaches and have grass that green this time of year?  Food looks great!
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Don't know how my post got ahead of yours. Post time says 9:52 and my phone says 10:33. Weird

analyze adapt overcome

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    caliking said:
    Nice bird, but that cauliflower sounds really good! just so happens that i have one siting in my fridge waiting for something eggciting to happen to it. 
    It sounds a bit like Aloo gobi seasoning without the turmeric. Two tablespoons of Indian red clili powder would make it a tad spicy though eh?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DaveM
    DaveM Posts: 100
    Options
    I've never roasted cauliflower on the egg, but there is an awesome Guy Fieri recipe online.  He mixes chickpeas, but we sometimes skip it.  Has a nice kick to it, but I imagine the egg would be even better.  

--Dave
    --Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    caliking said:
    It sounds a bit like Aloo gobi seasoning without the turmeric. Two tablespoons of Indian red clili powder would make it a tad spicy though eh?
    When I clicked the recipe link, it looked/sounded like what some folks call gobi masallam or even tandoori gobi. I have a feeling the 2 TBSP of chili powder must have been Kashmiri mirch or something without much heat... that would be way too much chili powder otherwise!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mattman3969
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I used 1 1/2 tbsp of ancho because was all I had on hand.

analyze adapt overcome

• Letz4wheel
    Letz4wheel Posts: 236
    Options
    For some reason @yzzi flaged me for being off topic...is he simple?
    Southern Indiana