Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Had to hang my head and say "awe boy" again

Options
13»

Comments

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I think the "change your shirt" comment is brilliant! I do think it must be the lump, too. I use a very neutral lump that I think Fred in Pa. sells exclusively to the retail trade. This week I made game hens indirect and they had NO smoke taste at all. 

Also, if you do a smoke, make sure you remove any unburned wood. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Options
    I had the same problem, and I just adjusted the amount of lump I put in, I don't fill the fire box all the way up. Seemed to work cause the wife seems to like it better, either that or she's getting used to it! :D
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    I think cowboy is junk. I had the same problem u did when I used it.

I switched to royal oak and haven't had a problem. I think the bad smoke flavors come from 2 things.

The first is burning fat, either from direct or indirect. Incinerating fat tastes like burnt garbage and will do it every time.

The second is if you're burning a "dirty" fire instead of a "clean" fire. I learned a lot about this from watching Aaron Franklin's YouTube videos. If you restrict the oxygen from your fire quickly, you get a lot of white, creosote laden smoke which tastes strong an terrible. You really have to let the fire come to the temp u want slowly.

Watch Aaron's videos and you'll see what I mean.

Hope this helps.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Dragonwmatches
    Options
    I'm good about letting my fires clear the white smoke and get to the clean smoke, and that definitely made a difference.  Luckily I only blew one or two cooks that way when I first started.  Question though - is it the lump that creates the nasty stuff early on, or is it smoking chunks like hickory?  I'm still not quite sure when to add my hickory chunks for long cooks.  
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    I like Humphrey but it burns way too hot and fast for me. I went through lump like crazy when i burned a couple bags a few months ago. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Grader07
    Grader07 Posts: 264
    Options
    @cortguitarman‌ I did live in pa in the gettysburg/chambersburg mountain area until about 2 years ago. I now live in the gambrills md area. Thanks for the offer though.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Grader07 said:
    ".... does everything that comes off of that thing have to taste like or be smokey?"...
    That's kind of funny, because I'm having the opposite problem.  I want to get more smoker flavor out of my egg!  LOL
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Grader07 said:
    I will be tryin OO or rockwood. I want the atta boy as i mentioned early in the post not the awe boy from the misses
    I don't know where you are but at this time of year some Costcos sell Basques Nature's Own lump. It is pure Quebec sugar maple and burns very clean. The bag is green and white with black loons on the front.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grader07
    Options
    Follow up to all who commented and gave suggestions..... First i would like to say thanks again!!! Second i did a clean burn of an hour long at 650-700 degree temps. The egg looked almost new inside following that. Third... Tried some new lump(rockwood) and we were off to the races. Dinner that night was baked potatoes at 400 degrees for an hr and 3 ribeye steaks at 500-550 degrees for just a few minutes on each side. Presented to wifey medium ribeyes told her what i did and it was the sounds of emeril coming from the table "BAM" and got the good ol "atta boy"... =D> Nailed it she said
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited April 2014
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Grader07 said:
    ".... does everything that comes off of that thing have to taste like or be smokey?"...
    That's kind of funny, because I'm having the opposite problem.  I want to get more smoker flavor out of my egg!  LOL
    Fill the egg up to the top of the fire ring with lump and light the bottom. :D
    Options
    Isn't getting a smokey flavor the reason for using charcoal in the first place?? 
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options

I got the egg, so that I wouldn't have to throw away a gasser every 4-5 years.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Grader07 said:
    Follow up to all who commented and gave suggestions..... First i would like to say thanks again!!! Second i did a clean burn of an hour long at 650-700 degree temps. The egg looked almost new inside following that. Third... Tried some new lump(rockwood) and we were off to the races. Dinner that night was baked potatoes at 400 degrees for an hr and 3 ribeye steaks at 500-550 degrees for just a few minutes on each side. Presented to wifey medium ribeyes told her what i did and it was the sounds of emeril coming from the table "BAM" and got the good ol "atta boy"... =D> Nailed it she said
    Congrats and job well done!! Next time you will have time for pics since your nerves will be better
    :D

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    Options
    Feel bad for you.  I have the opposite situation.  If I don't shower before bed after grilling, after being all smokey, she gets hungry again.
    XL Owner
  • Grader07
    Options
    Your just lucky then i guess @ElCapitan‌
  • Eggheadjoey
    Options
    Great write-up from jhl192:
    jhl192 said:
    The smoke flavor from most lumps, if done correctly, should be mild and pleasant.  There are two other flavors that you can get that are not pleasant and can be bad.  I am hoping that it is one of the last two that your wife is tasting because those are preventable.  The 2 bad flavors are VOC's and rancid residue or build up from previous cooks. I have experienced those with my family and they almost lost confidence in me.  (Please note that out of 200 cooks I may have messed up only three times but that smell / taste to sickening to some and my family lets me know and I agree with them)  I have ruined pizza's, expensive steaks and vegetables.  
    In retrospect my major downfall was impatience.  I blame the bad taste on one of two things:
    1) poor lighting technique (this has several aspects to it)
    2) I was too lazy to do a clean burn after I saw evidence of grease and residue build up on the inside of the egg.  (250-350 degrees is enough to cook food over time but it will leave fat residue coating the interior of your egg and this build up over time) To rectify, I always keep my eye on the grill and when I see significant build up, I let it burn at 600 - 750 for an hour or so.  This problem solved.

As for VOC's, that stems from poor lighting technique, as mentioned above and this is more complicated to correct.  I have seen a ton of advice on this forum and most of it is spot on.  I have however, found that if done correctly you can get even the cheapest lump to burn clean and not smell.  The primary cause of having bad smells on your food is impatience and air flow.  So here are my collection of lighting pointers.  They do not belong to me.  I have gathered them all here. Some people may do all of them and some don't do any.  I view them as an insurance policy over a ruined meal and lost confidence.

1) Clean out the firebox more frequently so there is no restricted air flow.
    2) Light the fire in multiple places so there is a even distribution of heat amongst the lump, If you light in only on place, light it in the middle.  
    3) SIZE MATTERS..Large lump has better air flow and the VOC's will burn off quicker.  Wait longer on smaller sized lump as there is more surface area and less air flow. 
    4) I always thought to catch my desired temperature on the way up rather than wait for it to cool down to my desired temperature.  It does take less time that way but you risk starting your cook too soon.  I always bring the internal temperature to at least 350 with the vents open before I start to back it down.  Obviously if I am cooking direct at higher temps I will go above that. 
    5) Once you feel the fire is established and before you put in your platesetter or AR/Woo2 stone give the fire a stir with your charcoal tool to evenly distribute the lit coals amongst the lump.
    6) Now wait for the fire to burn clean.  Like others have said,  it should burn clear and smell good.  If it does not,  let it go longer. 

OTHER THINGS that should help:
    *After your cook, collect your left over unburned lump in a bucket and use it to add lump to a fire or for a fire that you want to be sure has it VOC's burned off.
    *Try the better lumps as rated on NakedWhiz.com.  ( This helps but bags vary and even the cheap crap can burn well given time)     

Good luck.  This is a real problem but I am hoping it can be solved for you. 

Southern by birth, Italian by marriage. Ciao and Roll Tide!
  • Eggheadjoey
    Options
    I'm going to add my starting technique on this forum. It utilizes a MAPP torch and maple shavings from a Forstner bit. Stay tuned.
    Southern by birth, Italian by marriage. Ciao and Roll Tide!
  • double_ds
    double_ds Posts: 39
    Options
    Don't put your grill grate in until it is burning clean.  The smoke flavor will get on the grate and then be transferred to your food.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Good points..I am pleased to say that I pretty much follow all of those lighting techniques, and have had no smell problems...Thank you.. I am a Rockwood for every day cooks and a Fogo guy for Low and slow..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    double_ds said:
    Don't put your grill grate in until it is burning clean.  The smoke flavor will get on the grate and then be transferred to your food.
    Thanks now that I did not know.. I typically have been putting my grid in at the start for it to burn off.. Thanks for that..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited April 2014
    Options
    double_ds said:
    Thanks now that I did not know.. I typically have been putting my grid in at the start for it to burn off.. Thanks for that..

I usually leave mine in at the beginning for the same reason, and I haven't had a problem.
    NOLA
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Grader07 said:
    Cazzy thats funny. =)) That oughta go over well @grege345‌ might have to invest in a surface lighter. Ha! Or a chimney i guess.... At this point whatever works. Just dont want ol humpty dumpty goin over the wall and goin into a million pieces
    Say what?!?

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields