Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Belly

Options
Now that the weather is warming after the horrid winter in the northeast, I m excited about firing up the egg and doing some ribs and pork belly for tomorrow's dinner. I had some pork belly at fette sau in Brooklyn about a month ago and it was amazing. Got a piece a little less than a pound and intend to slow cook at 225 using some fruit chips. Will season with Texas BBQ dry rub and some Worcester sauce, same as I will b doing for the ribs. Two questions-the ribs will take about 5 hours. How long will the pork belly have to cook, and to what internal temp should I cook it? I don't want bacon. I want to slice it and eat it like brisket. Any input will b greatly appreciated. Thanks. Rich

Comments

• Rblument
    Rblument Posts: 27
    Options
    So nobody commented so I might as well. I smoked my pork belly cutting slits thru the fat but not into the meat. Put some Worcester sauce and Texas BBQ championship rub on fat side and meat side, and cooked it low and slow at about 225 for about 4 1/2 hours fat side up and then cranked it up to about 325 for the last 1/2 hour forty five minutes to Internal temp of about 175-180. It was the awesomest. Amazing. Highly recommend this method. It was a small piece-weighed about .83 lb raw and shrunk quite a bit, but I gobbled the whole thing down along with a half slab of ribs.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I would love to see a piece as it came off te grill.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    That looks like a fantastic way to cook a PB, Richard.  Bookmarked that one for sure.  I enjoy eating pork belly out, but never tried it at home on the Egg.  This looks do-able and delicious!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Sounds good. I've never even had cooked pork belly...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I had it in Vegas at a buffet once and it was amazing, have always wanted to do it.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Rblument
    Rblument Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks all. The link Richard FI provided is intriguing. While I normally like to do pork longish and slowish, the only issue I had with my pork belly was that the fat didn't render and crisp and I had to cut most of it off. The butcher at whole foods suggested I cook it for a short period at a high heat and then coaxed the heat down. My only concern is that it will get tough to get the egg down into the 200s after it is at 450. But I think I'll give it a shot one of these days. Isn't that what BBQ is all about-experimenting with new things
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    There is a fantastic pork belly confit recipe in Ruhlmans Charcuterie  
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    henapple said:

Sounds good. I've never even had cooked pork belly...

Henapple doesn't like bacon?!
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Try this: 

Peel 2 fairly large onions and cut them in half. Lay the onions, cut side down, in a baking dish. They will form a trivet and keep the pork from touching the hot dish. Dry skin well. score the pork skin with a very sharp knife at about 1 cm (1/3 of an inch) intervals lengthways and rub with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Place the pork on the onions, add a little water to the bottom of the dish, and bake at 180°C (350) for 2 ½ - 3 hours. Check periodically to make sure the water hasn't boiled away.   
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia