Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Quick and Dirty Table For a Large Egg

Options
Hey everyone,

I built this table using this guys site http://www.scottmoore.net/projects/egg/ I have about $65 into the table including the casters. Granted I already had the 2x4's, but you really only need about 4 8ft'ers. It took a little over a day, mainly because I bought 8ft 1x4's instead of 10ft'ers and it was too late to go back to the store. I also built this table blindly, and by that I mean not knowing exactly what I needed. I wanted to get something so that I could figure out what I wanted when I build my final one down the road. This is the reason I chose pine because it'll be kept in the garage, and isn't a permanent solution.

I already know that I'd like the shelf that the Egg sits on a little lower. The original one built uses a paver as an insulator, where as I use a paver and a table nest. Anyway, here it is, the Quick and Dirty Egg Table

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    nice!
    Options
    Great job
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    Resauers said:
    Great job
    +1

Opelika, Alabama
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Looks good, very similar to mine. Save that pic, after the first cook or two it will never look the same.
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    For less than $ 70?? That's a great table.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Stidrvr
    Stidrvr Posts: 54
    Options
    revolver1 said:
    Looks good, very similar to mine. Save that pic, after the first cook or two it will never look the same.
    Believe it or not, I already made burgers on it, and still looks like new. But you know it will happen, just like a scratch or door ding on a new car.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I spent about $100 on mine, excluding the 40 hours of work.
    Options
    Great table. 
  • Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188
    Options
    @Stidrvr I think I may build this table this weekend.  Other than lowering the bottom shelf, anything you would have done different?
  • Stidrvr
    Options

Kempy said:
    @Stidrvr I think I may build this table this weekend.  Other than lowering the bottom shelf, anything you would have done different?
    @kempy Im not real impressed by the lack of support for the boards on the left side of the table, where the hole is cut out (mainly about mid circle). I tightened the screws but they still are a little loose. Its kinda hard to explain but I guess its really not an area that will have a lot of weight on it. If you're going to use a paver and a table nest like I am, definitely lower the shelf. So far the table height itself is good, also in the pic you can see that I have triple 2x4's by the casters. The ones I am using are 2.5" and although they fit the legs with only 2 2x4's, there wasn't a whole lot of meat for the screws to grab onto. Not to impressed with the casters either. They're just cheap ones I got from Menards. I may look into better quality ones when I rebuild.
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Oh man look how clean that plate setter is! Nice table Sir!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Get the 5" cast iron casters from Harbor Freight.
    Options
    Stidrvr said:

Kempy said:

@kempy Im not real impressed by the lack of support for the boards on the left side of the table, where the hole is cut out (mainly about mid circle). I tightened the screws but they still are a little loose. Its kinda hard to explain but I guess its really not an area that will have a lot of weight on it. If you're going to use a paver and a table nest like I am, definitely lower the shelf. So far the table height itself is good, also in the pic you can see that I have triple 2x4's by the casters. The ones I am using are 2.5" and although they fit the legs with only 2 2x4's, there wasn't a whole lot of meat for the screws to grab onto. Not to impressed with the casters either. They're just cheap ones I got from Menards. I may look into better quality ones when I rebuild.

Thanks for the tips. I bought the best casters I could find around here that would fit on the legs using 3 2x4s. As far as supporting the top, I'm planning on adding some 2x4s near the cut out (run diagonally). I will definitely lower the bottom shelf. My plan is to measure the table nest and lower the shelf that distance. Or do to recommend measuring bot the nest and the paver? Anyways, thanks for your input.

• Stidrvr
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @kempy one other thing I thought of, when using the the 1x6's for the lower shelf, the way the spacing is between the boards, the feet on the table nest fall right where the gaps are between the boards. This is another reason I choose to use a paver, because it gave me a flat surface with no gaps. For my next table, I plan to measure from the bottom of the hinge, with the top open, to the bottom of the paver. I'll then add 1/4-1/2" to give me my lower shelf height
  • Kempy
    Options
    Stidrvr said:
    @kempy one other thing I thought of, when using the the 1x6's for the lower shelf, the way the spacing is between the boards, the feet on the table nest fall right where the gaps are between the boards. This is another reason I choose to use a paver, because it gave me a flat surface with no gaps. For my next table, I plan to measure from the bottom of the hinge, with the top open, to the bottom of the paver. I'll then add 1/4-1/2" to give me my lower shelf height
    Yes, I actually bought a piece of granite to place under the table nest so I'm covered there.  I too will probably measure to the hinge as well.  The naked whiz website says the distance between the base of the LBGE and the top of the table should be 17 inches.  Sound about right to me but I will measure mine out just to be sure.
  • Stidrvr
    Options
    Hmm, in that picture I posted the difference between the shelf and the top should be 15". So then 17" plus the 2" from the paver, a difference of about 4" should be pretty close to were I'd like it to be.
  • Kempy
    Options
    Stidrvr said:

Hmm, in that picture I posted the difference between the shelf and the top should be 15". So then 17" plus the 2" from the paver, a difference of about 4" should be pretty close to were I'd like it to be.

Thanks for confirming. Hopefully everything goes smoothly.
  • tybenj
    tybenj Posts: 58
    Options
    Yes, I actually bought a piece of granite to place under the table nest so I'm covered there.  I too will probably measure to the hinge as well.  The naked whiz website says the distance between the base of the LBGE and the top of the table should be 17 inches.  Sound about right to me but I will measure mine out just to be sure.
    I did some measuring for a table that was built today and  came up with 15 inches from the top of the bottom table to the top of the main table with a 21 inch opening and a table nest. I havent cut the hole out yet, because we had a problem with one we made this fall and the lower table being too low, so im waiting on some info from bge on their plans and table nest heights.