Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Grid extender now available online

EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 14,013
Firstly, I have no stake in this and am not trying to advertise.

On that note,  I have had a few people still filter through and ask me about the grid extender group buy. The manufacturer now sells them through his and I @SoCalTim and @Jackh that I would post the site but the thread is now somewhere in Vanilla purgatory. I expect that I will continue to get pinged(especially since Father's Day is on the horizon), so I thought that I would put it here in case any other newbies happen to be interested.

Here is the extender:

It is now available here at outdoorthree65 dot com.

The manufacturer is a great guy and has been a pleasure to work with. Once again, I have no stake in this whatsoever.

Comments

• CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 6,194
    edited April 2014
    I love mine. Just cooked a batch of tandoori chicken leg quarters in my XL, after getting the right char direct; I put them on the extended grid and finished to temp 175F raised direct.  May buy another one since I have three eggs.
    canuckland
  • bigalsworthbigalsworth Posts: 658
    I was just about to build one of my own, thanks for posting this!  No shipping to Canada so its a good thing my sister lives right near the border.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 2,130

The only time I take mine out of my large BGE is to add more lump.

Great eggcesory!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • AcnAcn Posts: 2,547
    I agree great product! Fantastic for reverse searing, cook on the top rack using a pizza stone on the bottom rack. Much easier to pull that than trying to get out the plate setter.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SoCalTimSoCalTim Posts: 2,155
    Sweetest!!! I'm on it!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • pantsypantspantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Canugghead let me know if your are going to order one ? I could be into getting some stuff .
    Toronto
  • TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 1,718
    Hey, I bought one of these on the group buy. What Grate works best on top? Not looking to spend a lot.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 14,013
    @terrebandit, the BGE grid one size down from your egg size is recommended. I have a large and use a weber charcoal grate. It's about 17 inches.
  • TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 1,718
    Thanks!
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,986
    Great. Some other new guy selling crap.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 6,194
    Canugghead let me know if your are going to order one ? I could be into getting some stuff .
    Thanks but I'm not sure yet.
    canuckland
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I bought mine on the group buy. I don't use if a lot, but it does come in handy. I actually just cooked veggies direct on the upper rack yesterday. It's also great for doing mass quantities of pulled pork and wings. I've done 6 butts on my XL using this accessory.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • sumoconnellsumoconnell Posts: 1,423
    Can I use it with my ar? I bet yes...a smaller grid, 3 levels of lard. Om nom nom.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • corb69corb69 Posts: 155
    Crap sellers
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 26,700
    @Eggcelsior

If you start a fire on each side of your egg, you can use those expanded steel outriggers as auxiliary cooking real estate.   Make sure you get good smoke.

• SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 3,394
    edited April 2014
    Like mine hate the bend of my weber grid. May pickup the med bge grid I think I saw pics it does not bend quite as much.
    Seattle, WA
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,907
    I have had the grid extender from day one. BBQ Outfitters sells his products. What grate I use is depend at on the cook. I bought a med grate originally, but I have borrowed the small and the mini's grate. Use it with the Woo at fest to get max cooking area.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 26,700
    @Austin_Egghead ; Joan, are we the only CST egghead insomniacs on the forum (except for Cazzy after a red-bull marathon with the fantasy football draft)?

• cazzycazzy Posts: 9,065
    What you talking bout Willis? I do some of my best work around this time! Don't make me write another magazine article son!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
    corb69 said:

Crap sellers

For the Canadians out there looking to order grill extenders on the website posted, at the moment  you have to call in and they will take your order, but they mentioned they will be changing their website to be able to accept Canadian orders.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• TFolsTFols Posts: 239
    Just used mine for the first time this past week in my new MBGE. Works well, I'm presently using a 13" weber charcoal grid up top. I'll buy a SS grid when I get around to it.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • It looks pretty neat. It's too bad it doesn't ship to Canada.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • awmawm Posts: 181
    I guess you could use this for raised direct also?

It looks pretty neat. It's too bad it doesn't ship to Canada.

He does. Send an email or call.
  • Just ordered mine Wednesday. Can't wait to use it. How much are MBGE grates going for?
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• TFolsTFols Posts: 239
    awm said:

I guess you could use this for raised direct also?

Yes..that's what I've been using it for so far.
    Bloomfield, NJ

It looks pretty neat. It's too bad it doesn't ship to Canada.

He does. Send an email or call.
    Yes they will ship you just have to call. I have the regular and tall on its way to Saskatchewan
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,872
    edited April 2014
    @‌Eggcelsior
    I am digging those side shelves. What's the story on those?
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    Hi54putty said:

@‌Eggcelsior
    I am digging those side shelves. What's the story on those?

I grabbed the pics from his website. They are part of a nest-like stand.