Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burnt pizza crust

Does anyone have any tips on how to. Keep from burning the bottom of pizza crust, I've been using a regular pizza stone at around 500 degrees

Comments

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited April 2014
    Set it on your plate setter with an air space between it and the pizza stone.
  • Janssen14
    Janssen14 Posts: 50
    Ok I'll try that, thanks! I think I'll get a couple cheap pizzas and practice
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Most folks seem to like raising the pizza stone higher in the egg. The higher temps up there cook the top more quickly so it's done when the bottom is. My setup is; platesetter, legs down, three planter feet (from Lowe's as I recall, but any garden shop should have them), a mni woo, pizza stone. Parts don't matter, just get about 4-5" above the platesetter (or whatever you are using for the indirect piece).

Enjoy!!
    imageimage

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ditto.  I use some copper piping from Home depot. image
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I put my platesetter in legs down then put 1/2" copper tees between my stone and the plate setter. If using store bought dough, be careful with temps getting too high. My experience was that store bought dough has a high sugar content. I'd cook store bought dough at the recommended temp.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    You may want to check your dough recipe.  The stone is usually much hotter than just 500 degrees.  Most commercial or homemade dough have a higher sugar amount and will burn right up.  Look up a neapolitan pizza dough recipe and try that.  It uses just flour, yeast and salt.  I have great success with these types of dough without the burning.  You can try higher in the dome, rubbing with a damp rag, different hydration levels etc....I think the best combo is high in the dome with a good high temp dough.