Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Ballotine (take 2): Apricot and nuts stuffing

paqman
paqman Posts: 4,660
Well, this time I nailed it! I followed the instructions in the Jacques Pepin video that was posted a few weeks ago by @Carolina_Q about de-boning a chicken. I chopped dried apricot, cashew nuts and pistachios. I then mixed them with my favorite recipe of bread chicken stuffing. I used the mixture to stuff the chicken and rubbed it with Staff B.B.Q. spice mix from épices de cru (spice trekkers). Roasted indirect on the egg @ 475F for 50 minutes until it reached an IT of 165F. For smoke, I added 3 chunks of bourbon oak barrel.

imageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Wow!
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Looks awesome!! 

Glad that post seems to have inspired a few folks to try the technique. Here's the post, for those who missed it. Would love to see more! One of these days, I may even try it myself. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Holy f@!& that looks good
    NW IOWA
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Looks great! How hard was the deboning?
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Nice!! =D>
    This is on my bucket list of cooks!
    Just need to muster up the courage to de-bone the yardbird.
    Jacques Pepin makes it look so easy.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • paqman

Looks awesome!! 

Glad that post seems to have inspired a few folks to try the technique. Here's the post, for those who missed it. Would love to see more! One of these days, I may even try it myself. :)

I can't believe you never tried it!?

paqman said:
    I can't believe you never tried it!?
    Ha! Why? It's a lot easier to post a link than to debone a chicken! I just enjoy watching him do it :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• paqman
    @Philly35 it was f!$#%#÷ good! :)

@CPARKTX‌ Thanks! It is fairly easy. I still needed to replay the video a few times while doing it but it is getting easier.

@Durangler‌ You definitely have to try it!

Very nicely done!!

I have been wanting to try this too. Do you measure the IT of the stuffing or the chicken to decide when its done? Also, can you share the stuffing recipe? It looks really good!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • KSwoll
    KSwoll Posts: 129
    The deboning is actually pretty easy after mustering the courage for the first one. This is stuffed with rice pilaf and diced proscioutto.
    XL, Large, Medium, and Mini Max
    Northern Virgina
  • paqman
    edited March 2014
    @KSwoll‌ It looks awesome! Possibilities are endless. My first attempt was Cordon Bleu style (ham and swiss cheese). We were talking about what I would be trying next and everyone was unanimous that I should do the apricot/nuts stuffing again. . @caliking‌ I never really use the exact same base for stuffing but it looks like: 1 cup chicken stock, 150 grams bread croutons, 1 tbsp butter, dried onion flakes, spices and some chicken stock powder to taste. Bring the stock to boil then add the other ingredients. Cover, remove from fire and let rest for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and that's it! I usually let the stuffing cold before using it. I measure the IT in the middle of the stuffing.

What beautiful results @paqman

Thanks for sharing!
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Seeing all of these posted lately I had to give it a try. Deboning went so so- one of those things that would get much easier after a few trial runs. I stuffed with sausage stuffing- next time would use a little less stuffing so there was more chicken on the bottom. I cooked at 475- waiting for interior to get to 160 caused the outside to get a little more done than I would have liked. Might try 350-375 next time. But still overall this is a good one give it a try. Pics coming up.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Hands down best looking cook of the day. I think I'm trying this cook sometime this week.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.