Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Wood Table Finish.

Options

Hi, I was hoping for a little help. I have just finished my LBGE table and made it out of cedar (pictures to follow) and looking for finishing ideas. I have seen a lot online but my big concern is I live in Ontario, home of +30 C in summer and -30C in winter. I am looking for something that will last.

Thanks

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Welcome to the lifestyle.

Can't really help with your cedar table question but, wondering what part of Ontario your in?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I am in St Thomas, just 20 min south of London.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited March 2014
    Options
    You should consider coming up for the Toronto Eggfest June 7th
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Greetings.  I highly recommend Sikkens Cedar Wood Finish.  I used it on my cedar table I built and it has held up well in the elements for 2 years.  In Indiana, we can have harsh, bitter cold winters and hot, humid summers.  I've been pleased with how well the table has held up without being covered up.  It has faded, but the cedar is still bright and clean looking.  

That said...I would not recommend using Cedar, or any wood for the horizontal surface (ie. top) of the table.  I doubt any finish, aside from maybe a high-end epoxy would withstand the elements on the top without having to be refinished in 1-2 years.  I plan to replace my wood top with a slab of granite.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    I used Olympic semi-transparent stain/sealant combo on mine.  I've had it sitting outside in the elements in Texas for close to two years and it looks great.  They have a variety of colors and also just a clear sealant or a cedar natural tone if you prefer the natural look. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Sfbbq_guy
    Options
    Cedar Table Mold problem!
    I bought the extra large BGE with the cedar table.  The retailer delivered and installed it.  The cedar was un-finished...no stain or sealant nor any direction on how or if necessary to treat the wood.
    Covered it with XL BGE cover and left it outside in San Francisco.  Cooked on it only about 3 times over six months as it is a second home.  Pulled the cover off and mold was all over the table top and legs.  Tried to clean with bleach and water.  Left cover off so sunshine could hit table.  Returned one month later and mold back even blacker and greater area.  Mold also in egg but that cooked off.
    I read where other members had same problem but can't locate that blog at this time.
    Mfg. rep giving a hard time regarding the problem and does not want to replace...cites lack of maintenance on my part.
    Anyone else had same problem or can direct me to blog that addressed this problem.  I typed in mold on cedar table and basically get stories of people that build their own table.
    Thanks
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Options
    I'm also in ontario. Made my table with cedar as well, I used a marine grade spar varnish on mine and loved the look!!! It brought out the grain and knot holes, and gave it a nice gloss, it is very durable, did three coats, 4 on the top, make sure to do it outdoors as the smell is very strong! :D
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I saturated my pecky cypress table with marine epoxy, then a few coats of spar varnish.  Been holding up great, almost 2 years.

Also, if you really want it to last you need to coat every side of the wood, and the only way to do that is to start coating it before you fasten/glue/whatever it together.