Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Member to the Egg Family

Options
I accumulated enough points through my rewards program at work to purchase a large egg package. The package included the nest, plate setter, fire starters, ash tool and the grate grabbing tool. I put it together yesterday and enjoyed some wonderful chicken drumsticks. Too bad it's raining here today or I would try something different. I look forward to being active on the forum.

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Welcome to the lifestyle!

Don't let the rain (or snow, sleet, darkness, cold, heat or anything else) keep you from egging.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Welcome!! Egging is so addictive. Agreed with @TOTN, Egging is an all weather sport. Make frequent visits to this place. It's a gold mine of information.
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Welcome!! 70% chance of storms here today as well. Just throw up some temporary shelter!image
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Congrats!!! Welcome to the club. Now go put something water resistant on and get out there :)
  • KyleEgg
    KyleEgg Posts: 37
    Options
    Temporary shelter is a perfect idea. Here's to another $100.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    KyleEgg said:
    Temporary shelter is a perfect idea. Here's to another $100.
    LOL... you have no idea my friend!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Welcome,what is your next cook going to be?Enjoy the journey and stock up on Budweiser!
  • KyleEgg
    Options
    I'm probably going Boston butt or ribs. I've used a Weber Performer for several years. Looking forward to being able to more easily keep appropriate temps.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Don't let the rain stop you. You only have to go out 3 times if your doin ribs and if you turbo a but you only have to go out 3 times.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• KyleEgg
    Options
    Sorry for multiple pics and the upside down one. I'll figure this out soon.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Looks like you're off to a good start and you have a lot of experience and knowledge to draw from.  You're going to love it here.

Myself, I'm so particular and love my Egg so much that it deserves better than to work in the rain.  Bought a shelter for mine so I can egg year round.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    FYI. Just a heads up but a lot of people say be careful taking the cover off. Sometimes the cap wants to come off with the cover and sometimes breaks.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• KyleEgg
    Options
    Thank you. Debated back and forth on paying extra out if my pocket for the XL. Decided to stay with the L. I wish it was good weather to clean it up from last nights cook. The Weber is easy to get ashes out of. Doesn't seem the Egg will be as easy.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    @KyleEgg, get a small shop vac and cleaning ash out of the egg is a piece of cake!
    Options
    Shiiiiiiit. After one cook you can put more lump in, if needed, and relit it. One cook of chicken won't be enough ash to prevent good air flow.
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    Welcome to the cult of the BGE. My pure going to love it here. As for cleanup, I usually empty out the ashes every 3 or 4 cooks. Using the ash tool, it's really pretty easy just to pull the ashes out through the bottom vent. Usually before a long, overnight cook, I will clean out the whole thing and get rid of the used charcoal putting in brand new. At that time, I will usually take out the fire ring and charcoal ring and clean out behind them. You will be amazed how much stuff gets behind there.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Kyle, welcome and I suggest you put your city/state in your signature line. You'll likely have a new set of local Egger friends real soon.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    Welcome! We're a friendly cult.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Welcome! Your new temporary shelter has cost you exactly 1 EU (Egghead Unit). Any less than that can be rounded down to beer money explained away to SWMBO (she who must be obeyed).
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Resauers
    Resauers Posts: 40
    Options
    Welcome, be ready to spend some out of pocket money but it will be worth it. This place will help you have successful cooks.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Don't sweat the clean out. As @TexanOfTheNorth‌ said, use a shop vac every 3-5 cooks and you'll be golden. Truth be told, I only clean out my egg every 10 or 12 cooks. Used to do it a lot more but found it wasn't necessary to clean out so much unless I'm doing an overnighter. For low and slows I always clean the egg completely.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    I bought a used metal baking pan at a yard sale and I keep it outside on the bottom shelf of my egg table.  Everytime I cook, I stir the old lump up with the ash tool and then pull a pretty small amount of ash out through the bottom door, into the pan.  I used to use a shop vac but this is much easier.  If I am going to do an overnight cook, I (usually) do a more thorough cleaning.  About twice a year I crank the heat up to 700 degrees to burn the goop out of it.  Sometimes it ends up perfectly white when I do that.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs