Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corned beef Question

Options
2»

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I want to make it - I just did not realize that it was that many steps to make.  I was hoping for a simple cook for "THIS" weekend.  That is all.  We usually cook a corned beef brisket in the crockpot with cabbage/potatoes and it takes a few hours.  I have cooked a few BBQ beef briskets (over nighters when I had time and was home) in the past and they have come out good.  I was hoping just cooking a corned beef brisket smoked on the Egg would be it but I have just learned form you and others that its more involved than that.  I want to try it and will but I know I only have ~6-7 hours to cook something on THIS Sunday or we wont eat it.

When I have cooked a BBQ style smoked brisket its usually ~1 hour a lb or a little over to ~200 and like butta so in my window of opportunity a 4 lb brisket might have worked.  I have a list of people that want me to make pastrami on the Egg and were planning on having some this weekend but I just dont have time.  Kids sports are more important than a piece of meat.

Garnerville, NY
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options

try this one,  maybe a duplicate,  a couple years ago , I did this and regular corn beef boiling with cabbage, potatoes and carrots,  the pastrami was gone first,

Not a difficult cook at all, soak the corn beef overnight ( at least ) in fresh water. 

I smoked with pecan.. it was fabulous.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• nozob1
    nozob1 Posts: 43
    Options
    I am trying Malcom Reed (HowtoBBQrRight) way of smoking it part way , then braising it on the Egg. I have no idea how it will be, salty, overly tough...not sure. Will let you know how it comes out! http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uAPd79VFJP4
  • nozob1
    nozob1 Posts: 43
    Options
    Have to say Malcom Reeds way (but on the Egg) was amazing! So tender, moist and full of intense flavor. The cabbage, I forgot to wrap in foil completely after the 1 1/2 hrs the recipe called for...so I did throw more cabbage in a pan on the stove to simmer incase.