Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping egg lit at 200 degrees

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My egg will not stay lit, what am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Lynn,
    it probably is due to air flow, make sure your not all clogged up with ashes and your firebox is aligned with bottom vent.

• SmokingInMO
    Options
    Chef Wil,[p]When I have ran into this problem is when I got in too big of a hurry. Let the egg burn off and let the lump completely light, it will go up to around 250-275 then drop back down after lighting. Once the initial temp drop happens let it smolder for a while before attempting to set a temp. I normally have to get the egg too high and then wait for it to drop back down at temps as low as 200. 250 is no problem at all but anything below that I have to get it too hot then bring it back down.
  • eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Lynn,[p]what are you trying to cook at that low of temp? The only thing that i smoke @ 200 is jerky(i know, some say that is too hot for jerky).[p]Scott

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Lynn,
    You probably have a combination of lack of airflow and perhaps not letting the fire get big enough to sustain itself to begin with. Tell us in detail how you build and start your fire and how you set the vents. [p]You might try reading some of the following webpages on my site which talk about low and slow fires, and temperature control:[p][li]Elder Ward's NC Pulled PorkTitle
    [li]My first overnight cook
    [li]Temperature Control Hints and Tips[p]Good luck!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz