Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Home-built Raised Grid (Just in time for wings!)

So, several months ago, when I first started egging and couldn't control myself at the local BJ's, I bought a huge bag of frozen Tyson wings.  They've been in the freezer, waiting for me to figure out how to get em good and crispy, which is how me and the 15/yo man-boy like our wings.  

Anyway, lots and lots of Forum trolling had me convinced that 3 things had to happen to get them right:  (1) coat with rub + cornstarch @ 3:1 ratio; (2) rest in fridge for long enough to get a pellicle (I had to look that one up); and (3) cook "raised direct", which I learned early on could be accomplished by purchasing an AR or a woo, or home-engineering a rough and ready equivalent.

I and 2 were simple enough:  used 1 part Argo and 3 parts Rub-a-Dub from Sunny Caribee in Tortola, BVI, to work in a hint of the islands, Mon; into the fridge at 8 am for a planned 5 pm cook.  For #3, it was off to the local hardware store (small-box, give the local guy the biz) to gather parts for the home-brewed raised grid according to the recipe so many of you have followed.  After buying/returning/exchanging the 22.5" Weber grate for the correctly-sized 18-incher, I attached stainless steel carriage bolts, hex nuts and washers using the strategic 3-point stance (which brought out the 15 y/o wiseacre's remark:  "Every bit as strong as using 4, but only 3/4ths the price!").  I had thought about using the 3 PBR can stand (macho) or flour pots (meh, and potentially heat-blocking), but having cheaped out on the AR and the woo, I needed the satisfaction of building something meself.

Anyway, now I can legitimately say I know the pleasures of cooking "raised direct".  Wings went on @ 400 degrees for 25 minutes, plus 20 after the flip. Came off crispy as fried, and the apple chips imparted a hint of smoke that you just don't get in the wing factories.  Ate them 3 ways:  buffalo, honey bbq and neat.  No survivors.  Next time, I'd probably go a few minutes less -- there were a few that were too charred for the masses.

Also did chx breasts for the ladies, who before they tried the wings thought they wanted a more healthy option.  Raised direct worked like a charm here, too:  "Best chicken breast I've ever eaten," said the spouse.  May be true, but the wings are gone, and there was a breast left over at the end of the meal.

Thanks for the tips, Forum Folks -- could have done it w/o you, but wouldn't have been as good or as fun.  

Pix below.
It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• And you saved yourself a $150 by using nuts and bolts.  Great job on the cook and the savings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • KiterToddKiterTodd Posts: 1,541
    Now I'm hungry!

I'll give you an old secret here for when you are short on time and need a lot of wings.  (short on time!)  Go buy the frozen wings at Costco that are already seasoned and ready to fry/bake, but grill them instead.  Before you dump them out of the bag you can also pour in some more hot sauce and spices and give it a shake.

Them throw them on a hot grill frozen and cook 'em up!  You have to tend to these so they don't burn, but it is easy and everybody assumes hard work.  When I'm putting my efforts on other food, but still want some wings to serve, I'll do this.  It is always a crowd pleaser.   When I have the time, I do 'em from scratch. ;)
    LBGE/Maryland