Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Splitting a Brisket?

Options
Conneggticut_Yankee
Conneggticut_Yankee Posts: 132
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
Ok, so I know this might be sacrilege to some of you out there but, being relatively new, I have to ask. The situation is that I wanted to corn my own beef this St. Pattys Day and went to my butcher looking for a flat. The guy tells me they come as a full packer. I get so excited that I get to finally cook a whole brisket that I just buy it. The thing is I still need a flat for the corned beef. Would you split the brisket, corn the flat and smoke the point or would it just be better to go out and buy a flat specifically for the corning? 
Madison, CT
LBGE June 2013. 

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I have corned many packer briskets.  Sometimes they are too big so I just cut them to fit about in half.  So, one piece is all flat and the other is half flat and half point.  I generally cure them for about 10 days and then smoke them to make Pastarmi, 
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Conneggticut_Yankee
    Options
    I like that idea. Turn the point into pastrami and the other half just corned. 
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• Caballero
    Options
    It's perfectly ok to split the brisket, I'd advise to follow the fat juncture that's between the Piont and the flat rather than cutting straight down, it's very easy to follow with a knife: just grab the point, insert the knife in the juncture, and let the knife slice following it.

The point tends to be jucier than the flat and makes for great brisket.