Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken/Turkey/ Re: healthy if cooked with skin on and???

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Question:
My very good friend will not cook or eat chicken/turkey skin. He removes the skin before cooking either of the two. He says if you cook with the skin the fat is in the meat at the end of the cook. Now I had a sample of his turkey that was cooked in an electric weber bullet (I think that is what it is from the picture I have found on the internet) I found the turkey meat to be kind of dry and sort of hard for my liking.[p]So????????
If you cook with the skin on, remove and toss it, is your chicken/turkey as healthy as if you had removed the skin first and then cooked it????????[p]Thanks for your thoughts,[p]New Bob

Comments

• Sandbagger
    Options
    New Bob, For me the skinless is less healthy. Simply, cooking skinless poultry has no appeal to me. So if offered the option, skinless or ?, I'd take ? and chances are it would be red meat or pork. With that said, I cook poultry and remove most of the skin while eating. Funny how some things work! Tom

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    LOL
    Are you removing the skin as in "eating it" or?????[p]Too funny how words can or cannot work.[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

• Sandbagger
    Options
    New Bob, that's my mind playing tricks on me. The good angel says no skin, while the bad angel says eat it all.....Most of it stays on the plate, except those pieces that look to good to waste....it is a battle. tom

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    New Bob,[p]Seems I remember hearing that cooking with the skin on and removing it prior to consumption, will greatly improve the flavor/juicyness of the meat and be virtually (not quite though) as healthy as poultry cooked w/o the skin.[p]Skin Cooker & Eater,
    Jethro

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    Hey New Bob,
    I would suggest that you not invite that friend over for dinner. He is probably referring to fecal matter that is picked up on raised turkeys and chickens. Just scrub with a stiff bristled brush under COLD water and dry off with paper towels before preparing for a cook. I have, for years, cooked my turkeys breast side down and keeping them that way until 15 seconds before carving. Excellent results, very moist turkey brest meat. Skin is optional to eat. Usually the larger the bird the harder the skin is to eat.
    billyg
  • Love Handles
    Options
    New Bob,
    I cook it with skin on and eat the skin too. Thats how you can keep your football playing weight. You know what I mean don't you little guy?[p]See-Yaa

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    New Bob, I cook mine with skin on. Then remove before eating. The skin does retain some fat tissue but not as much as a nice ribeye. And how would your Thanksgiving Turkey looked all naked and exposed to the elements??? I used to love eating the skin more than the meat, but the Dr. now says no way.

• locolongball
    Options
    New Bob,

I'm 5'11'' / 275lbs... I'm staying out of this one! ;-)[p]happy egging....[p]go Irish!