Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo meatloaf recipe?

Options
kbutler84
kbutler84 Posts: 140
edited February 2014 in EggHead Forum
Looking for a meatloaf recipe that can be cooked on a weeknight after work. Most of the ones I've found call for about 3.5 hours cook time. Just looking for ideas.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I would not cook it in anything. Cook raised about 375/400. Can't see it taking over an hour. Don't cook it 5" tall, maybe 2.5 to 3 inch. Think really big hamburger patty
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• kbutler84
    Options
    You think raised direct or indirect?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Indirect. Bet direct will work just fine with raised. I am going to go direct next time.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• kbutler84
    Options
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I did a direct cook one time and the bottom of the meatloaf got a little crispy. That might have been from too much sugar in the mixture like ketchup or barbecue sauce. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Try cooking it on a plank (very easy to handle ) . Put in some Jack Daniels chips , raised direct at 350-375 dome for about one hour until 165 internal. Fantastic! Also makes a nice presentation.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    3.5 hours?! For meatloaf? Wow!! I just did a quick google for meat loaf recipes and the longest I saw took about 1:30. Several were 1 hour and one was only 20 minutes (put the mix in a cupcake pan).

I do mine indirect,on the grid with no loaf pan, drip pan on the platesetter. Don't remember how long, but it's no more than an hour. One of these days, I'll try the cupcake thing.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• kbutler84
    kbutler84 Posts: 140
    edited February 2014
    Options

3.5 hours?! For meatloaf? Wow!! I just did a quick google for meat loaf recipes and the longest I saw took about 1:30. Several were 1 hour and one was only 20 minutes (put the mix in a cupcake pan

Yeah, there were a couple recipes on this site that went for that long. I couldn't believe it either. Granted they were cooking at a lower temp, but I didn't really think that was necessary for this dish. I'm actually using the method you described except with a raised grid.
  • kbutler84
    Options
    Finished product. Hopefully tastes good! Thanks for the help everyone.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I was thinking of doing a meatloaf this weekend. I have a ceramic casserole dish I was thinking of using to cook it in so I don't have to use the plate setter. Looks like I will be buying a raised grate too since I don't have one yet. I was thinking of using half beef and half veal. Any thoughts?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I smoked my first meatloaf this past Sunday. Cooked it raised indirect with a coleman basket full of cubed potatoes below it.  Turned out amazing. 

It tastes so good and is so easy to cook, will definitely be doing it again real soon.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Mines less than 30 minutes to cook. I do my "meatloaf" as meatballs. About 1/3 lb each. This way each balls get more flavors from the sauce. And then I take out the cover half way through the cook to caramelize the balls. Sometimes I like to smoke them a bit before adding sauce to the dish but usually sauce picks up smoke quick anyway.
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD