Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last Night's Supper - Sub Zero Salmon

So I've had enough of these sub zero temps in MN keeping me inside. Originally planned on blackened salmon last night but decided to brave the cold and do DP's Maple Butter Salmon instead. Loaded the medium in the garage, pushed it outside and quickly got it blazing with the weed burner. One pound salmon fillet from Sam's, good dose of Raging River on both sides. Went on medium at felt level on cast iron grid. Sorry I can't be specific on temps because it was so cold outside, the dome temps varied widely because of the wind and me opening it up to check the fish. Basically though I gave it a good bit of time to heat the grid, and cook direct with Woo2. I did about 4 min first side, glazed and flipped (imperfectly as noted in pics), did second side 2-3 min. pulled at 120 and tented in the house. Best I can give for dome temps was 425 - 500, again wind and cold makes it pretty unreliable. Did some asparagus with ginger garlic sauce in the sous vide for 20 min at 180. Pulled and through on medium and seared while salmon was resting. SWMBO wanted here own roast veggies so also had some zucchini, mushrooms, and red onions in the oven. Please excuse my sub standard photography and plating, but no matter how it looks it was damn tasty!

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN

Comments

• chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Very nice cook my friend! Looks like restaurant quality to me. Great photos!
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Looks fantastic @scooter759. It has been a bit tricky here in MN lately. My eggs face NW so sometimes I get "forced air induction" through the bottom vent with our 30MPH winds. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Looks very good!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Keefer
    Keefer Posts: 120
    Just realized that in almost a year of cooking on the egg - I have yet to cook salmon. Gonna do it soon! What is this Raging River you speak of?
  • @Keefer - Raging River is a spice rub from Dizzy Pig. They have a very solid line of products and are quite popular with a lot of eggers/ BBQ folk/cooks. Check out your local BBQ stores or google it. They have a store locator on their website.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN